Sign in to follow this  
bmlum415

Daiwa Zillion Type R Vs. Shimano Core 51 For Frogging / Flipping

Trying to decide on these two reels for frogging and occasional flipping. I'm leaning towards the daiwa since it has better line capacity and drag. On the other hand I'm familiar with the shimano core series and I love them. The reel is going to be filled with sunline fx2 50/60 lb(which one?)( what color blue or green line?) and paired on a dobyns 735c then later onto a megabass orochi x4 destruction f6 72. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

You might consider the weight difference for balancing each rod. The core is 5.5 oz & the type R is 8.5 oz.

What Dwight said, that's a huge weight difference. I'd look at the PX type r if your interested in daiwas. More of a comparable reel to the core.

I have a type r as my frogging reel on a 736 and had it on a 735... Though heavier, it is smooth as can be..

It has a longer handle balances better on the rod...

Just my opinion though

I briefly used the Core 50 for frogging. Now I am using a Zillion (not the R).

The Core 50 is completely capable of doing it but I would imagine the Zillion type R is a better choice.

The px type r is out of the question since I don't want to spend that much on a reel. The zillion is pushing it as it is.

The choice is easy for those applications, the Zillion. The only benefit for the core is the weight difference, in all other aspects the Zillion wins. The core is a great reel but better suited for other things. For line 50 or 60 is fine, I use both with good results. I like the color green so thats what I would choose.

• Like 1

If you get a core, get the 100mg7 over the 50 size. Otherwise, all things considered a zillion variant would be ideal for frogging.

Also if you are talking about a savy 735 or the megabass destruction I would just kept the savy. No need to spend a fortune on a frog rod where the bites are seen and not felt. I have the savy 735 for frog fishing and will never upgrade to rod of higher price. For other applications where sensitivity comes into play more by all means go all out on the rod. Also while the destruction is a versatile and cool looking rod, the new Orochi line is going to be pretty much as sensitive but a bit more faster in action. I know a few guys that sold there destructions to pick up similar offerings from the Orochi XX line. Given the price difference I would give it some consideration...

I'm talking about the champion 735 and I don't fish righ handed reels so I can't get the 100mg7

Well I placed my order and decided on the zillion type r. I got it for under $300 though since my hs club gets discounted items from tw

You won't be dissapointed. That reel is a frog gets dream