skeletor6

Chronarch D7, Core 100Mg7, Or ....

Hey All,

Talked with a friend of mine who got me interested in a couple reels I have yet had experience with.

I am Looking for this reel to go on a heavy jig rod. Prefer a gear ratio of 7.X:1 or faster and a total weight of less than 8 ounces. Not interested in a Curado/Chronarch 200e7, or any 50 size Shimano as I already own these.

Not interested in a Lews TP or Revo STX of any generation as I have already explored that route. I would like comments concerning the reels mentioned above and, also, reels with similar size and performance. It could be from any manufacturer, just not the specific reels mentioned. If anyone owns both and could give a head by head comparison that would be great.

I am open to the idea of getting a Ci4+, but there is not enough data on these reels to make an educated decision or for first-hand feedback to relate to. Price of the reel is not a concern, it will be paired with an undecided rod. In the running is the Zayta or NRX 894 or 895 which are yet to be released. 12# or 15# tatsu will be used with YZH backing. 

I would like to here the communities' thoughts on this decision. All information appreciated.

Regards,

`Skel

I have a Chronarch D7 and it is smooth as butter.  Specifically, it has 12lb Trilene 100% fluoro on it and it's on a DX 703.  I owned an MG7 in the past and sold it.  They are both smooth on the retrieve but something about the Chronarch just feels better in my hands.  Maybe it is the aluminum vs magnesium thing. 

Some prefer the larger knobs on the MG as well.  Though they felt great, again, i found myself liking the Chronarch better.  It is also the most phenomenal caster I have.  I have one break on it and the spool tension set very low.  As long as you aren't going super low weight, you will be good to go. 

Can't go wrong with either, but there is a reason chronarch d's are hard to find.  I was lucky to score one off a forum and it was up for maybe 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

Nice combo you are putting together.  I use a Core 100 with an NRX 853 for jigs and bottom contact baits in the 3/8oz range, I have the reel spooled with 12# Tatsu and it fishes like a dream.   For the heavier jigs I assume you are talking 3/4 -1oz range, I would look at the Chronarch B if you can find one in great shape or they have been clearing out the Calais 100 and 200 series reels  for good prices.  The Chronarch B and Calais are bigger reels and feel better when using heavier baits in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have two jig rods that do well up to 1/2oz. And another that will fish 3/4oz in moderate cover, these are all on the rods' upper end. The jig rod in question will be mostly throwing 1/2oz - 1oz baits with the heavier side punching lillypads and what not. In heavier cover a 3/8oz may even come into play. 

With that said, I don't know if I want to make the jump up to a B series or Calais as I have yet to struggle fishing heavier baits on even a 50 sized Shimano to be honest. With that said, the reel will at the very least be professionally serviced, tuned and have the drags upgraded which I have done on all my reels. 

Thank you all for your help thus far. Seems the D7 vs 100mg7 is still very alive as they both are probably nice reels within their own right and are similar in structure besides material. I have been able to locate both of these reels and on average the 100mg7 is about $30 higher. So its a wash in my eyes. As I said, price does not matter and I cannot think of many competitors for such application at the moment.

Regards

Between the two I would go with the D7, seems to be a reel in high demand so if you decided it was not to your liking it would have a good resale value.   A couple of other reels that would be the equivalent of the D7 are the Daiwa Zillion in one of its many variants, or the Steez.

Between the two I would go with the D7, seems to be a reel in high demand so if you decided it was not to your liking it would have a good resale value.   A couple of other reels that would be the equivalent of the D7 are the Daiwa Zillion in one of its many variants, or the Steez.

Good point about the Zillion. I am with you, the D7 seems like it may be getting the nod at this point. Does anyone know if this reel has a bearing on the spool. My Chronarch 50mg's do not and, thus, do not offer the same improvements with bearing upgrades as reels that did. My Curado 200e7 is a bomber and from what I have read the D7 seems to be as good if not better in these regards.

Although casting distance is not a huge factor, it still doesn't hurt. Does the D7 suffer from the same coating issue as the Chronarch 50mg's do. Where it comes off fairly easy with misuse? The D7 will be bought used for obvious reasons.

As a purely speculative question, is the Ci4+ put in a situation where it potentially would be in the D7's wheelhouse for what I am looking to do? The 7.6:1 version has caught my attention.

Thanks

D7 does not have a bearing on the spool

Thank you,

Does the 100mg7?

Thank you,

Does the 100mg7?

It does not.  To my knowledge the  Shimano reels the utilize the Super Free  design do not use a bearing on the pin side of the spool.  

Interesting. Thank you.

Seems these reels are pretty much just like my friend said. Nearly identical just the magnesium parts vs. the metal/aluminum.

Some nice reels for sure in the consideration pool. Possibly add a new Tatula if that has good reviews, if you are looking for a new fairly affordable Daiwa. The reel looks solid on paper. You can possibly go JDM as well for a unique and performance driven option.

At the very least the backing is good!

• Like 1

Since you are using it on a probably "heavier" nrx rod, i'd opt for the d7 just strictly for balance and comfort. if given the opportunity to mount either just pick the one that feels better with the rod. after that just flip a coin. both are such solid reels. I believe the ci4+ is a 150 frame(i could be wrong) so it will be a little "bigger". i prefer the smaller 50s and 100s for any flipping/pitching/jig/trig situation.

Some nice reels for sure in the consideration pool. Possibly add a new Tatula if that has good reviews, if you are looking for a new fairly affordable Daiwa. The reel looks solid on paper. You can possibly go JDM as well for a unique and performance driven option.

At the very least the backing is good!

Completely forgot....my friend actually mentioned this reel in the hunt as well! How odd you brought it up  :laugh5:

So yes, the Tatula is another reel I would like to throw into the mix. After doing some reading, I think I am going to stay away from the zillion. They are great reels just not something I am interested in for this setup. I am not privy to JDM equipment, but if anyone has any wildcards I would like to hear it so I can do some searching.

Thanks!

Since you are using it on a probably "heavier" nrx rod, i'd opt for the d7 just strictly for balance and comfort. if given the opportunity to mount either just pick the one that feels better with the rod. after that just flip a coin. both are such solid reels.

Optimally, this is something that I would like to do. Since I moved I am now closer to a shop that Carries NRX's. I do not know when they will get the 894 and 895 in. I am very interested to hear how those fish, especially since the other 7'5'' version (893) fishes like a dream. Ultimately, the taper between the 873 vs the 894/5 and which one will meet my power recommendations will take the win. Although I will say that it will be tough to make a decision without the Zayta being out yet.

With that said, it seems a lot of D7 votes are coming in. A D7 supertuned, cleaned professionally, and with an upgraded drag does not sound like too bad of an idea. What are the bearing differences between the D7 and the 100mg7? And do either have a clicking drag or spool tension knob? Is there any subtle things about either of these reels that bug anyone?

The d7 has a clicking star drag but does not have a clicking tension knob. The only gripe one could have with the d7 is either lower line capacity Or a larger frame. Compared to other low profile reels, it is a bit bulky. Line capacity is also lower than most. With backing I have spooled all my line on some occasions when throwing a 1/2 rattletrap so backing is now minimal and that is with 12lb. Heavier line may have you wanting to go straight line to spool.

Both reels have the same bearing count and placement 4 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing, they both also have a clicking dragstar but the spool tension knob does not.

Bearing placement is standard for Shimano reels that support the SF design,  1 forward spool support bearing, 1 pinion support bearing mounted in the frame, 1 bearing under the spool tension cap, and one bearing on the aft end of the drive shaft.   1 anti reverse bearing.