Sign in to follow this  
KIFishin

Newbie to artificial lures has a few ?'s

First let me introduce myself. I'm Chris, I'm 25 years old and have been fishing since I was 6. That whole time I've been fishing with live(dead) bait. Bloodworms, nightcrawlers, shrimp, minnows, blah blah blah. Then a couple months ago, I decided I was going to FORCE myself into using artificial lures. So, I set myself up with a carolina rigged 5" plastic worm and threw it out off a boat ramp near my house on Kent Island. I started reeling it in and I felt it go weightless so I set it back with all my might and reeled it in with a 14" baby rockfish on my first cast! Not a keeper but it got me hooked. So now I have a few basic questions that I haven't been able to find in the articles.

For carolina rigging, are floating worms supposed to be used? what about texas rigging? Is it suppose to be dragged along the bottom?

Just how fast are you supposed to reel in a spinnerbait? crankbaits?

I don't currently have a boat(I am looking believe me!), Should I just stick to soft plastics and live bait right now?

This forum has been so helpful since I've been lurking on it, thanks so much for everyones time

First off! Welcome to the Boards!  :o

Your questions are somehwhat broad, but can be answered. You will find anyhting and everything you need to know about bass fishing on the site! I suggest reading some of the sticky's they have a lot of good info.

Carolina rigs can be fished with an type of soft plastic bait depeneding on the conditions/situation.

Spinnerbaits around 70% of the time work best with a steady retrieve, enough to turn the blades and get some vibration going.

Cranks are all dofferent depending on their depth and how cool the water temperature is, will let you decipher how fast to actually 'crank".

As for right now, there is never a better time to start experimenting with some new baits youve never used. Best thing for you to do is read while online and try the stuff you learn and apply it on the water.

Hope this helped some -WM  :D

Hi KIFishin,  Welcome to the forum!

For carolina rigs, you can use floating worms if you want, but don't have to everytime.  It is more of a per situation, and a preference thing.  Same with texas rig.  Sometimes I will drag the rigs across the bottom and catch fish, other times I will hop them over the bottom, or in place and catch fish.

For spinnerbaits, I have found that a medium speed retrieve usually has the best results.  Same with crankbaits.  BUT.. there are times when the fish will only go after a slow moving bait, and also times when they are not going to hit your lure unless they see it fly by at mach 4.

Most of your questions are kind of general.  You must remember, bass do not read the books, or follow the rules.  When you throw in a lure or soft plastic, you have to find the bass first, and then find what will make them bite if they are not actively feeding.  Find out what works for you, and utilize it.  Im sure you'll get more specific answers to your question. Just my .02 cents.

WELCOME CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Floating worms are used for carolina rigs plus anything else you choose to throw.

When T- rigging , most hop it back and can also slow drag it back.

I use a spinning reel with  GEAR RATIO OF 6.0:1 , I.P.T. of 33" for spinning baits and traps.

For cranks I use  a spinning reel with a gear ratio of 5.17:1 , I.P.T. of 24 ".

Since you are fishing from the bank , get some spinner baits and use them. They ride high in the water and won't get snagged as much as you would fishing deeper.

Get some crank baits that dive 2-5 ft. and with your c-rigs and t-rigs , you should be in business.

Hope this helps you out.

Welcome aboard. If you'll look at the top of the page, you'll find a link to the Fishing Articles section. There is a ton of good stuff there. I spent a lot of time there, and still do.

Good luck,

GK

Welcome to BR KIF!

Betcha you end up catching bigger Bass with ypur articials. :D

I'd add a pack or two of 5" Senkos(color #222 or 196) to your arsenal.  Rig the weithgless with just a 4/0 EWG hook and catch some bigguns!

Dan

I don't currently have a boat(I am looking believe me!), Should I just stick to soft plastics and live bait right now?

If you mean right now as in time of year, that might not be a bad idea, depending on where you're located.

If you mean right now as in while you're boatless, the answer is absolutely not! I've done a huge amount of fishing from the shore for many years and I catch fish on a variety of lures. In no particular order, soft plastics, topwaters, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and inline spinners. Just choose your lure in accordance with the conditions, like cover, structure, water temperature, weather conditions, etc.

Another factor is that in many waters, fishing from the shore offers no visible targets to fish, so you have to cover water and you can't do that as effectively with bait and plastics as with faster moving lures.

Great choice on switching to artificial baits. There is no better feeling then knowing you have TRULY tricked the fish into biting your bait, and with a artificial you are doing just that. I would leave some tips about the styles of rigging you listed, but everyone basiclly covered that. (Btw if your a fluke fishermen there is no better artificial then a small White Leadhead rigged with a Pearl White Gulp Swimming Mullet. Just bounce this bait combo along the bottom, its ridiculous how many fluke you'll catch  ;D.)

Guest avid

Howdy dude,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find artificials to be alot of fun and very productive.

Allow me the to be the first to introduce to our mascot.

The bait monkey.

As a bassfisherman using artificial bait you will get to know him very well.

He is the "monkey on your back" that tells you the mortgage can wait, but you MUST get that new rod and reel, RIGHT NOW. :D J/K (welll maybe, maybe not )

Anyway, with plastic worms and their cousins, the creature, the lizard etc.

there is hardly a wrong way to fish them. If you know how to Texas rig, and how to carolina rig, you've got the prime rigs. Wacky rigging, or just putting a smallish hook through the middle of the worm is also a basic that works very well in open water.

Keep experimenting. Keep having fun.

And tell the bait monkey "Hi" from Avid when he comes a callin'

Welcome! Couldn't tell where you were from on your profile but it would help to know if you're fishing reservoirs, natural lakes, ponds, rivers, etc...Also if you're in a highland, lowland or flatland area. Myself, I fish highland rivers and river run reservoirs exclusively. Lots of guys here fish ponds and strip pits so there's lots of helpful tips to be had if you care to be more specific as to what type of water you will be fishing.

Anyway...Welcome! Don't forget to read up on all the great tips in the "fishing articles" section of this site.

I don't have anything to add to the other posts.  They've covered your questions,  but I do want to welcome you to our forum.  You will learn a great deal from the articles and the forum here.  

I want to thank everybody for their advice, I really appreciate it and the welcomes.

I'm currently fishing on Kent Island in Maryland and couple of the small lakes and rivers in the area.

Oh and by the way, the "bait monkey" has already spoken to me. I went out and bought a 7' medium action rod and 6.4:1 spinning reel and a new tackle box for all the new goodies I've been buying.

Did I mention that I lost 2 of the spinnerbaits I bought? The lake I was fishing at last weekend gets stock by the DNR with christmas trees around some the perimeter to be used as "fish attractors"...I guess spinners like them just as much as the fish   ::D

Welcome aboard!

Instead of just buying a bunch of stuff, I suggest you keep a running list of lures that are working for members of this Forum. This will guarantee a few things that wiil catch some bass and will save you a lot of money. I would also suggest focusing on one or two techniques ONLY to begin with.

Get better before you get broader.

Welcome.

I gave up on the carolina for now.  Currently I'm just t-riging 3 or 4/0 weightless, Flukes, Beavers, Senkos, and Creatures.  Ultra basic rig, lots of lures.  Though I'm confined to the bank.  YMMV.

later