MacP

Okuma Evx On The Bay.

I don't know if it's not kosher to do here, but a cursory Ebay search will turn up some of them in casting M and MH half off of the usual price.  I bought a new Speed Spool this week and had been eyeing Okuma's for quite some time.  Their medium EVX feels as good as any rod I've picked up in a while.  I would've bought one that day, but dropping $250 over lunch on a whim wouldn't go over to well with the wife.  Pretty sure they come with rod sleeves too.

Hope it helps someone find a deal.  I'm not associated with them at all either.  Just spotted a deal while looking for one myself!

Looking for deals is not that uncommon for any of us.  Regarding the EVx, I will issue one word of caution on cost relative to replacement under warranty based on personal experience.

I too loved the overall weight and feel of the rod when I paired it with my Revo Inshore.  That quickly turned to dismay and disgust when I was tossing a jig-n-craw into some timber.  I had a nice strike and went to set the hook, I gave a quick firm side set and with the load applied to a decent fish, the tip snapped clean and I lost the fish.  Now I wasn't hung up, the fish was simply applying leverage against my pressure when the tip snapped between the second and third line guide on a MH/Fast casting rod.  I was disappointed to say the least, especially since this was the first time out with the rod but I know it happens to everyone at some point.  I took the rod back to the store and learned that the replacement cost from Okuma plus s/h would be more than the cost of the rod itself if I bought it brand new.  I decided to switch to a higher end rod instead.

We've all had stuff break quickly.  Hopefully this rod won't.

My local tackle shop does Okuma stuff over the counter.  I don't know how.  I don't question it. 

ok, what the hell.

Cancelled my transaction stating that it was "out of stock".   They had "6 or more" last night and the auctions are still up.

I don't know if my experience applies, maybe someone else can chime in. But I recently bought an Okuma Concept 7' MH/F rod at a steal - about $70. Never tried an Okuma before and didn't know much about them. 

Noticed right off the bat it was light, but also significantly thinner than my Crucial with the same size and specs. Initially I intended to pitch medium sized jigs with it. Right away I noticed it was way too bendy. I think it's power or taper rating is overrated. So be careful, could be a trait of the brand, maybe purchase a higher power rating if you need it stiff with backbone for heavy fishing.

Really light when paired with my Lews tournament though.

I've been fishing with two okuma trio spinning reels for years. I picked up an evx spinning rod on clearance to match with one of them. Great rod so far. I did break the first one but it was my fault for stepping on it. Replaced over the counter and I've been fishing the new one for 6 months.

I did have a customer service experience with Okuma. I melted the handle knob on my reel when coming home after night fishing. My fault again but I called them and I was sent a complete handle assembly for free.

Not familiar with the other rod models, I bought an Okuma  Cedros inshore coastal 10/20 mh 8' spinning rod rated at 1.5 oz. a few months ago, on it's back is the new model cabo 40.  I'm very impressed with the aluminum reel seat and tightening rings.  I did expect more distance from an 8' rod but it casts plenty far.  The heaviest I've casted is 2 ounces, handled it well (everyone around here casts more weight that the rating). The rod does have good backbone, so far I have caught snook in excess of 20lbs and tarpon about 40 and a 35# barracuda.  To be honest I like my Redbones better but they don't make an 8' rod.  For the most part I like Redbone and Star, exceptions are when I'm looking for something they don't offer.