Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Shipping Tubes For Fishing Rods

Because the tubes are telescopic I wouldn't recommend them.  The way that shipments get treated these days, I would think there would be a high probability of the tube getting banged on the end.  The tube then telescopes and does the same to the rod.

Yeah I wondered about that. Also wondered if mummifying it in tape would help. These seem super cheap. Someone could order the smallest quantity and have enough to sell every rod they'll ever own. There are other tubes also. I'll have to look and see if any are solid.

Never mind. I knew it was confusing, so I just went to their website and put a batch of them in the cart. It was $145 for 15 of them, so they're $9.67 per tube. That's too much. Wouldn't be that bad if I had 15 nice rods to sell but not for just a few.

Yeah, PVC will work I believe. It's expensive to buy the pipe and caps to ship a single rod though. I was mostly wondering because I have a few rods I may like to sell but shipping would kill anything I'd make on them. They're not G Loomis rods, just cheapies. Looks like a yard sale is about my only option.

The price depends on the wall thickness of the PVC pipe.  The thinwall should be more than adequate for shipping rods.  You can get caps for the ends, or threaded fittings and a plug for the ends.  Use the cap, and glue it onto one end of the pipe.  For the other end, you can use a cap and tape it, or for more security, a threaded coupling.  Glue the smooth end onto the pipe and get a plug for the threaded end of the coupling.

The price depends on the wall thickness of the PVC pipe.  The thinwall should be more than adequate for shipping rods.  You can get caps for the ends, or threaded fittings and a plug for the ends.  Use the cap, and glue it onto one end of the pipe.  For the other end, you can use a cap and tape it, or for more security, a threaded coupling.  Glue the smooth end onto the pipe and get a plug for the threaded end of the coupling.

or glue both ends, depending who you are shipping the rods to.