Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Red

Mop jigs

Recommended Posts

I have heard about these things and today I got two Buckeye Mop Jigs, my first two actually.  My first impressions are man this thing is freakin huge!!  I put a full length Gene Larew Craw on it just to see how it looks....it looks HUGE!  Anyway, I am looking for any tips on how, when, and where to fish these jigs.  Is it pretty much like any other jig?  Do they work better under any certain conditions/time of year?  Do you work it like any other jig?  Flippin and pitchin?  Any help is much appreciated!

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only fished it for smallies in rivers. I have found i have had the most success when i move it SLOW around rocky areas. Sometimes i kind of shake it like a shaky head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not a very good choice in Texas, but if you go to

a BIG FISH state, you might find them effective. :-?

My favorite combination is a GMAN Mop Jig with a Rage Tail

Lobster trailer. For me, this is a presentation on structure,

generally deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Probably not a very good choice in Texas, but if you go to

a BIG FISH state, you might find them effective. :-?

hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally deep, rocky areas....I know the perfect spot!  Gonna give it a shot day after Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mop jigs are fantastic for giving the fish a diffrent look. They have always produced well for me in cold water, and at night. They are no doubt a great big fish bait, but I get good numbers as well. It's a great SLOW bait, because for one thing it takes 4 ever to fall. I've did a fair amount of clear water testing with it to get a good look at the skirt and letting the bat sit a little while really lets that skit flare out. So I went to longer pauses and seemed to get more big bights. When I bring it back I'll drag ot or hop it. It just depends on the conditions and what I think will work best.-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does anyone pitch or flip with mop jigs with success?

Yup,  I pitch alot with all jigs.  One of my favorite places to pitchem is in thick brush and let it fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a mop jig or a version of one 100% of the time. I caught hundreds of fish on one last year. They are fantastic. I pitch it, flip it, cast it, drag it, hop it and this time of the year I just let it sit there for a long time.

The first thing you should do is drop one in a tank of water and watch what it does when it hits the bottom. Compare it to a Silicon skirted jig and see the difference.

I use two different trailers, 90% of the time it's a rage chunk and the other 10% it's a Zoom Super Chunk or Super Chunk Jr. You don't need a large trailer because or the action of the rubber skirt under the water. When it hits the bottom it moves out of the way and the trailer is the only target left for the fish to hit. It's not just a big fish bait. It's a tournament winning bait. The '07 Classic was won on a version of the Mop Jig and many other top tournaments have been one using one. It's an awesome jig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's not just a big fish bait. It's a tournament winning bait. The '07 Classic was won on a version of the Mop Jig and many other top tournaments have been one using one. It's an awesome jig.

Boyd Duckett won the '07 Classic with a Berkley Chigger Craw if I'm not mistaken.... Are you referring to the '08 Classic? Alton Jones won it on the Booyah A-Jig and Pigskin Jig...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was prob referring to the 08' Classic, Alton Jones took a bunch of Booyah jigheads to the Buckeye factory and had the Mop Jig skirts put on.

I work them like a regular jig, just a lot slower. If you cannot feel every little rock that it is crawling over, then you are moving it too fast.

Although there are those crazy times where I have caught fish swimming one.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He was prob referring to the 08' Classic, Alton Jones took a bunch of Booyah jigheads to the Buckeye factory and had the Mop Jig skirts put on.

Yep, exactly what I ment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×