Sign in to follow this  
GrizzerGreen

A couple drop shot questions..

Well after overcoming my fear of the palomar knot, Im ready to start using drop shots but I had a few questions..

What size drop shot hook is the best?

What kind of lure do you use? I have a brand new pack of 3" Berkley grubs that I have laying around.

Where do you throw it at?(lilys...banks..etc.)

HOW do you fish it? Slow..fast?

What about line? Ive been using fluro alot latley. Would that be ok?

And lastly how heavy of a weight do you use?

I guess thats a bit more than a few questions..but any help would be great.

Thanks guys!! 8-)

What size drop shot hook is the best?

I personally use a #1 for most applications. Other people will use different sizes. If you're using a larger bait, don't be afraid of using a larger hook.

What kind of lure do you use? I have a brand new pack of 3" Berkley grubs that I have laying around.

Almost anything will work. I've been having a lot of fun lately using a small Lake Fork Magic shad. Roboworms are great also. A small fluke. Basically anything that will match the size of a prey species of fish.

Where do you throw it at?(lilys...banks..etc.)

Throw it wherever you want. If you're using heavier line and hooks, you can use it in pretty thick cover. I personally use mine around submerged structure for the most part. Drag it across points, rockpiles, or any other structure. Working it on the outside edge of a weedline can be fantastic during the right time of the year.

HOW do you fish it? Slow..fast?

Let the fish tell you. You can hop it, drag it, twitch it, or shake it. The drop shot is extremely versatile. Lots of times, just the motion of the boat moving will give you more than enough action to get a bite.  I usually start out fishing it slowly while covering water. If I'm not getting bit I'll speed it up a bit. Twitch and pause it until you get bit.

What about line? Ive been using fluro alot latley. Would that be ok?

You'll be fine with fluoro. Lots of people like to use braid with a fluoro leader, myself included. That may be something you want to try some day. Otherwise you'll do just fine with fluorocarbon.

And lastly how heavy of a weight do you use?

Heavy enough to be used effectively in the depth you're fishing. I normally use 1/4 in most situations. I'll move to 3/8 if I'm getting a little deeper (25+). 1/2 only when I'm fishing very deep water (40+). You want to be able to have the sinker maintain contact with the bottom.

To get you started I recomend #1 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks, 8lb fluorocarbon line, and a 1/2 oz drop shot sinker.   Nose hook a 3" or 4" bait like a zoom tiny fluke, or finesse worm in a natural color like green pumpkin or watermelon , and M or ML powered spinning tackle. Thats for more open water/ light cover stuff, and  IMHO thats where I would "learn" , leave the heavy cover "bubba shotting"  for later.  A good place to start would be the edge of any visable cover, like a weed line, out side dock posts, etc... you'll be sure to catch them on a DS if they are there. You don't really "work" a drop shot IMHO, cast/pitch or drop to your target, keep the line tight and MAYBE every once in a while give the rod tip a slight twitch. I find I catch way WAY more fish by not doing any thing but dead sticking the rig in my target area. If your don't get a bite, make another cast/pitch or drop.

Looks like your in smallmouth country too, you should have an absolute blast with the drop shop!  I personally have had my best success fishing it for smallmouth in 15-40 ft of water in the fall.  I believe it will work just about any time in any circumstance though.  Have fun!

Big thanks to SoFla and ww2farmer!

Ill definitaly remember those, thanks guys!

And yea, it smallmouth country all right AND KVDs home town!

Although I still have yet to meet him.... :-/

Seen a interesting thing on the college FLW show this past week (may be old to some people). Instead of using a weight at the bottom of there drop shot rig,they used a senko rigged wacky style...gonna try that next time i'm out.

There is no easy answer to your question. I drop shot with 25lb test, superline hook6s, and 3/4 oz weights. At other times Im fishing 6lb #2 drop shot hook, and a 3/16oz weight.

I use fluoro for both. My favorites baits are Zipper Worms hand pours in various colors and size. If bigger fish are present then Ill go with a 6 in straight tail worm, sweet beavers, brush hogs. Use the proper hook for the bait. Line size depends on where Im fishing it. Punching the weeds and matts or fishing a point in a deep clear lake. Smaller worms and drop shot baits Ill nose hook with the smaller hooks.

Now 8lb test is pretty darn strong and Ill use it alot, cover or not. Working the bait is dictated by the fish. Sometimes you can cast it to the weeds and work it out with a pause, slide cadence. Other times you will want to shake it in place, and yet others you need to just dead stick it. It works great all year long. Spawning bass cant handle a drop shot. Drop shotting around bait can also be deadly. Best I can say is never stop experimenting with it. Its such a great technique, there is always more to learn.

The line/hook/bait will depend on the lake you're fishing and the kind of structure/cover you've got. 

I go pretty heavy on the weight, from 1/2 oz up to an ounce.  I like to use a big circle hook and 17 to 20lb flouro.  For the baits, there are so many choices but don't limit yourself to the small ones.  I've had a lot of success drop-shotting 10 to 12 inch worms like the Ragetail Anaconda and Ragetail Thumper.  Creature baits do well on a drop shot as well.

My most successful bait overall is the the Ragetail baby craw.  Play with different lines, weights, and baits and make your own drop-shot style.  There are so many options, there really is no 'best' setup.

I use 8lb Seagar abrazix on a spinning reel with #4 gami splitshot/dropshot hook.Leader anywhere from 4'' to 12'' depending on what the fish want.

4'' to 6'' Roboworms mostly for bait And the lightest wieght I can get away with without losing feel of the bottom.Lighter the wieght the less i get snaged imo in rocky brush areas in the lakes that I fish.

I dont really use heavier line than 8lb on a dropshot .The water is to clear in the lakes were I fish

What size drop shot hook is the best? i use a 1/0 hook

What kind of lure do you use?  i use 4.5 inch roboworms

Where do you throw it at?  everywhere

HOW do you fish it? fairly slow

What about line? Ive been using fluro alot latley. Would that be ok? yes that is ok

And lastly how heavy of a weight do you use? 1/4 oz

Big thanks to SoFla and ww2farmer!

Ill definitaly remember those, thanks guys!

And yea, it smallmouth country all right AND KVDs home town!

Although I still have yet to meet him.... :-/

I'm from Battle Creek and have met and talked to KVD several times, he will usually pop in a D& R sports and do a couple of seminars late winter when cabin fever is killing us and he will also pop up at some of the local fishing shows.

Already a lot of great suggestions on dropshots, I will mention a good bait for me is wacky rigging a 3" Senko/ Dinger type of bait. If fishing for smallmouths in the Great Lakes, Detroit River etc. many guys have cashed a lot of checks using Poor Boys Darters & Gobies along with a lot of the smaller Gulp baits. Obviously a great place to use a drop shot is Gull Lake if you happen to fish over there.

Here is the set up the majority of us North West guys use:

Hooks: Owner Mosquito size 2 or Gamakatsu size 4

Line: Seaguar Invisix 6# test

Weight: Quick Drops Sinkers. Go with the lightest possible. 1/4 oz for deeper water and drop down accordingly the shallower you are fishing.

Baits: Sniper Lures Snub or Bolt. These have won more money in the Pacific North West than any other bait in the last 10 years.

On the standard drop shot set up, do not over work your bait.  There is a time and place for that, but in general, less is better.  Another technique out here that has also become standard is called Dropswimming.  Use a Panic dropswim minnow and just slowly reel with your rod tip high.  I like to twitch the bait a little as I bring it in.  This can be a killer teqnique. 

Hidden

I like a #2 stand out dropshot hook with a Roboworm or Zoom Fineses worm. 1/4-3/8 oz sinker.

....Bill

Here is the set up the majority of us North West guys use:

Hooks: Owner Mosquito size 2 or Gamakatsu size 4

Line: Seaguar Invisix 6# test

Weight: Quick Drops Sinkers. Go with the lightest possible. 1/4 oz for deeper water and drop down accordingly the shallower you are fishing.

Baits: Sniper Lures Snub or Bolt. These have won more money in the Pacific North West than any other bait in the last 10 years.

On the standard drop shot set up, do not over work your bait. There is a time and place for that, but in general, less is better. Another technique out here that has also become standard is called Dropswimming. Use a Panic dropswim minnow and just slowly reel with your rod tip high. I like to twitch the bait a little as I bring it in. This can be a killer teqnique.

;)Nice.