Sign in to follow this  
Simplyspookin

Fishing Techniques For Virginia In March

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the site and I'm already addicted.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what they use and how they use it in March here in Virginia.  I would like to start fishing Diascund and Little Creek reservoirs so if anyone has any suggestions about how to catch fish there that would be great.

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the site and I'm already addicted.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what they use and how they use it in March here in Virginia.  I would like to start fishing Diascund and Little Creek reservoirs so if anyone has any suggestions about how to catch fish there that would be great.

If I haven't welcomed you already, then welcome!

I have not fished on the South Side yet, I fish up in the Peninsula, Yorktown, NNPK, and Williamsburg - Gloucester, too.

That said, all of those fisheries are reservoirs. Each responds to soft plastics for me, normally fished wacky, Texas, Mojo, and Jika rigged. My main rig is wacky, though. Fished at downed trees, bridges, etc., it has been absolutely killer for me. To hit grassy outcroppings, I'll Texas and Mojo mainly, with some Jika on the side.

Don't happen to be a hard-bait fisherman much at all. I've tried, and still try, but my success comes on soft plastics. So others will have to chime in there.

The waters up here are generally "green-clear" and the fish respond well to a number of colors, not the least of which are Watermelon Magic (BPS Stick-o, or Yamamoto Senko), Green pumpkin/black flake, Green pumpkin magic, Green pumpkin gold flake, watermelon red flake, and such variations.

I'll fish these colors for Yamamoto Senkos, BPS Stick-Os, Zoom Finesse and Trick worms. You're mileage may vary down there. I just don't know those waters well.

Best of luck to ya!

All in all it depends. The bass spawn when the dogwoods bloom. The water is still cold on Anna (low 40's) and with cold weather and snow set for March first I'm not expecting it to be very different than it is now. My guess would be jerkbaits super slow rolled spinnerbaits and mabey a deep diving crank or too

Tight lines

Andrew

Thanks guys, other than top water I'm not much of a hard bait fisherman either, but I am trying to make myself learn.  I went the other day and caught a few on Powhatan Lakes S.....L....O.....W rolling a spinner bait and some on a worm but i don't do well on these clear water reservoirs. these tips are much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Diascund is gonna be tough i think due to the extremely low, as in 6 feet or so below normal, water levels but on the flip side it may warm up more quickly too because of said water levels.

I have done well out there with your normal early baits like crank baits, jerk baits and finesse baits.  Diascund has some great flats that warm up pretty fast and the fish move up there to feed so i would hit those areas first and if nothing there, find the creek channel nearby and fish the drops.

Good luck!!

From va here too! Middle peninsula! I haven't got out yet this year but am hoping to get to some small ponds in the next week or so. I find a lot of fish on soft plastic worms or flukes

Hi everyone, 

I can help with this. I was stationed in Norfolk, and have had to travel down there in the spring quite a bit. traps, Jerkbaits, and chatters is all you really need. A couple of square bills, spinnerbaits, and Senkos if you are so inclined. The lake in the Amphib base is also quite good. The water warms up quick down there, don't be afraid to check shallow. Move around until you find them. They aren't shy this time of year. Its been a cold winter, so they may be a little behind this year.

Pointer 78 ghost minnow. Crank it down, count to 15, jerk, jerk, pause. Repeat!

• Like 1

20 bucks says Sam mentions the Dogwoods blooming.

• Like 1

Generally a good rule to follow, not always a safe bet tho!! Some fish will be on beds then but I find most of the bigger, earlier spawners are already looking for deeper water by then.

20 bucks says Sam mentions the Dogwoods blooming.

Dogwoods are balls accurate, but for the spawn. If you wait for the blooms, you'll miss most of the pre-spawn bite. When the tips turn green, I'm on the water...

Yes, Teal, the dogwoods! Glad livetofish knows about the dogwoods. Let's keep this to ourselves!!!

As for what to throw, Diascund is very clear water, so you will have to cast far or go straight down. Water temps in Diascund are probably still in the 40s and with the cold fronts and snow/ice heading our way they will probably remain in that range.

Please make sure your trolling batter is 100% charged or bring a second one just in case the first one runs out of juice.

So what to throw? The regular baits you would throw in any 40* water in Virginia. Jerkbaits, lipless crankbaits; drop shots; shaky heads; spinnerbaits; jigs and pigs.

You may want to stop in or call Hookers and ask them what the good baits are to throw before heading for Diascund. And visit their store in Toano.

I don't fish Little Creek so I am of no help for you on that one.

• Like 3

Hi everyone, 

March fishing all depends on how early the heat rolls in imo. Generally the first rain of march (Hit the water the day after) will begin the bass/baitfish moving into 10ft and shallower waters for the fresh oxygen, When the water heats up, theyll move into the 5ft and shallower. 

Since i rarely fish anything over 10ft i like to use soft plastics over spinners and such. Lizards, Shakeyheads, worms, also going to be trying frogs this year.

Im not sure how the water color is there, but if its clear water fish blues/blacks somewhat near the surface. (If repetively hitting a spot make the lure drop a little deeper each cast)

Your best bet would be to keep a log though. Experiment with various lures while Recording size/weight/species of fish, time of day, type of day, etc and within a year youll basically have your own cheat sheet of what to use, when to use it, how to use it, and where to use it

Welcome Fry, Im from South Hill VA  right at the NC border and last Monday we were killing them on rocky points fishing flat A's. The water temp was 46-48 in about 6ft of water hope it helps you out.

Welcome Fry, Im from South Hill VA right at the NC border and last Monday we were killing them on rocky points fishing flat A's. The water temp was 46-48 in about 6ft of water hope it helps you out.

What's the water level up on Kerr? I plan on riding there in the coming weeks. I live about 15 mins from Gaston, I'm originally from the Kerr Lake area NC side. I fish there as much as Gaston lake.

What's the water level up on Kerr? I plan on riding there in the coming weeks. I live about 15 mins from Gaston, I'm originally from the Kerr Lake area NC side. I fish there as much as Gaston lake.

Not really sure havent been on Gaston yet this year. But I love the fishing on Gaston all uear long