dtruesdell24

Bps Pro Qualifier Or Lews Tournament?

I am going to get a baitcaster reel for my heavy action rod. The Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reel will be on sale for $80 and I found the Lews Tournament reel new on ebay for $110. So which one do you think is a better value for the price?

There is no definitive answer, because the question is subjective. HOWEVER... if it was my money, I'd get the Lew's. I own both and have no problems with either. Both are good reels.

I have had BPS pro qualifiers, I consistantly got about two good seasons out of them before they wear out. Great reels out of the box.

Cannot compare to that Lews real but If it was me I would try my luck at them, I love their look and feel but have not owned one. I wont be buying BPS Pro Qulifiers anymore as my standards have been set higher.

I have had BPS pro qualifiers, I consistantly got about two good seasons out of them before they wear out. Great reels out of the box.

Cannot compare to that Lews real but If it was me I would try my luck at them, I love their look and feel but have not owned one. I wont be buying BPS Pro Qulifiers anymore as my standards have been set higher.

Really? What wore out?

Nathan, have you seen Goose52's documentation of his ongoing 5 year TORTURE of a PQ that has taken the abuse quite well? I'm talking catching hundreds of fish and made some 75,000 casts, conservatively guessing. I find it hard to accept that they actually wore out. Possibly needed maintenance after two years, but most reels should be serviced annually anyway, not biannually. Did you maintenance them?

Both great reels but I preferred the tournament because of the 85mm handle, stronger drag and what I felt to be a slightly smoother feel. That being said, don't think I am taking away from the PQ as it is also a money reel. Just comes down to preference.

Really? What wore out?

The gears, cast control and drag. The gears wearing out did not affect performance but it was noisy and not smooth. The cast control and the drag both lost their tolerances. Adjusting the drag while fighting a fish became a dangerous game, and the cast control became way too touchy.

Nathan, have you seen Goose52's documentation of his ongoing 5 year TORTURE of a PQ that has taken the abuse quite well? I'm talking catching hundreds of fish and made some 75,000 casts, conservatively guessing. I find it hard to accept that they actually wore out. Possibly needed maintenance after two years, but most reels should be serviced annually anyway, not biannually. Did you maintenance them?

I have not. The only thing on my reels that were probably not repairable were the gears being unsmooth and noisy. The problems with the drag and cast control could have been repaired. I choose not to have them serviced and no longer have them.

I have curado D's that are 8 years old, never been service, and still function better than a BPS PQ out of the box. I guess that is why I have higher standards. Nothing against the PQ because when you compare it at $80 to other reels in that price range it is far superior IMO.

Mechanically there is little to no difference between the two. It comes down to which details and features you prefer and the value you place on them.

• Like 2

Having had both, I can tell you they are both great reels. If it were me and I were trying to save a buck, I'd get the PQ and wouldn't think twice. As DVT said, they are very, very similar reels. The PQ is a steal for $100 but for $80 it's robbery. 

With the PQ you are also getting bass pro's return service. I once dunked my two year old PQ in the water and it was never the same, took it to the Orlando shop and told them exactly what happened, they told me to grab a brand new one and take it to them and have them ring it up as a replacement. I had a carbonlite that I ended up breaking early on, and the I experienced the exact same service. I once bought a pack of their craws that was missing one craw, thinking "I'll just tell them so they can let their quality control know" I went and told them. The store manager told me to grab a new pack for free and keep the one I had. Thanked me and shook my hand. They don't mess around with their brand name stuff. 

The best part is, you don't even need a receipt as long as your transactions are on your scorecard.

During the reel trade-in during the BPS Fishing Classic you can get the Pro Qualifier for $65

• Like 1

During the reel trade-in during the BPS Fishing Classic you can get the Pro Qualifier for $65

What he said, this would make it highway robbery. 

• Like 2

I think you can trade in any reel as long as it works and get the discount coupon. I'm planning to trade in a Penn saltwater spinning reel and buy a PQ. It has worked like this in past years.

I think you can trade in any reel as long as it works and get the discount coupon. I'm planning to trade in a Penn saltwater spinning reel and buy a PQ. It has worked like this in past years.

Will I get anything for an old spinning reel?

The only problem is that this will be my second baitcaster so I don't have a reel to trade in.

Dont they have like a dirt cheap reel you can buy for about 5-6 bucks? i know some poeple did that last year and you still come out ahead!

Like most everyone has said, you can't go wrong either way, but I give the slight edge to the Lews

Will I get anything for an old spinning reel?

Yes as long as it is working condition since they are given to under privileged kids. But call your BPS to make sure. In the past you give them the reel when you go in and they give you a discount voucher to claim when you check out with your new reel.