Sign in to follow this  
nyghtryder_9

Advise On New Trolling Motor

I have a 85 bayliner 1710 trophy. It's 16.25 ft long and dry weight is 1445 (may be a little more since I rebuilt the front to have a new full casting deck). I believe the trolling motor it has is the original. It's a MK all terrain 33 lb thrust 12v with a 38in shaft.

I am planning on getting a MG Xi-5 with gps but am unsure on the length of shaft and how big to go. I put all new 8g wiring in so I could run the 24v 80lbs thrust model. But would I need that much or just get the 12v 50 lbs model. Also as far as shaft length it would be between 48 or 54in.

Any thoughts will greatly help!

According to the site it should be the 50 lb model, but I remember reading somewhere that 50 should be the minimum for a 16-17ft boat. I know either will be a big leap from what I got but I don't want to buy one to regret not getting the other later.

If you read all of the threads on 'which trolling motor should I get?'...........you will find one response in every one of them..........get the most powerful trolling motor you can afford!

That is in my opinion.......the best advice I've heard.

• Like 4

If you read all of the threads on 'which trolling motor should I get?'...........you will find one response in every one of them..........get the most powerful trolling motor you can afford!

I agree. You can't have too much TM power.

Ya i was kinda leaning that way. Does the shaft length really matter?

Absolutely ~

And if you get a Minn Kota be sure it has the Digital Maximizer feature which controls and optimizes power to extend battery life and reduce damaging heat. You’ll stay on the water up to five times longer on a single charge.

My previous model had it and I replaced it with one that didn't - bad plan.  Batteries don't last nearly as long without it.

A-Jay

Get as much #thrust as you can afford. Shaft length does matter somewhat. Shaft length does make some difference. You don't want one that has too long of a shaft because it will either stick up too far and be in the way, or it will stick too deep into the water and hamper your shallow water mobility.

• Like 1

Get as much #thrust as you can afford. Shaft length does matter somewhat. Shaft length does make some difference. You don't want one that has too long of a shaft because it will either stick up too far and be in the way, or it will stick too deep into the water and hamper your shallow water mobility.

And if the shaft is too short - anything more than minimal wave action will have your motor routinely coming up and out of the drink which is less than desirable.

A-Jay

if you have a 38 inch shaft now and it works for your needs, then I would strongly suspect a 45 inch shaft is all you will ever need.