Sign in to follow this  
BMayer3

Question About Drop Shot Set Ups

I'm looking at getting a new set to use for drop shotting and having been looking at a combination of the Shimano Symetre Reel paired with a rod in the 6'8" to 7'0" range. Also, I've seen a lot of companies have "drop shot" specific reels and rods. is it safe to trust these set ups for what they claim to be? Last question, is it more beneficial to use a spinning reel or casting reel when drop shotting. I've seen guys use both and just want to get some opinions to help make a decision.

If you're vertically fishing finesse baits with electronics, a 6'8" ML/XF rod with a 2500 spinning reel works great. Opening the bail and letting it fall is easier than thumbing the spool all the way down. Technique labels are suggestions, take it or leave it just the suggestions you'll get here.

Never seen a drop shot reel. Most any med/fast rod 6-7' with a 2500 reel will work for most. You can use casting gear for it, but spinning is easier, especially if you're fishing deep.

• Like 1

Cool guys, thanks for the advice. should have been more specific about the gear. not so much that companies themselves have specific drop shot reels, but websites have the search criteria to help narrow what you're looking for and the reels almost always come up in that search when you specify drop shot gear. 

Gotcha. The filter probably just brings up finesse Finess bait casters and spinning reels. I'd start with a m/xf rod that feels good. Later you can get more specialized. I mainly use shorter ml/xf rods, but I'm fishing deep, deep, open water. You'll probably like what what you get, is you can always add something more specialized. Considering the drop shot rig is something many of us up north used to learn to catch panfish, it doesn't have to be too complicated.

I would think they'd be a pretty good place to start. I know a lot of people out there are skeptical about technique specific anything, and I was to an extent. When you think about it though they build those off of the suggestions they receive, and/or from their pro staff input. The result is a rod that the majority of fishermen are looking for and that that will also mean there are some who won't think it's what they're looking for. If you're just getting into a technique though, it's probably a pretty good starting point.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback, i know it will make a difference and help with decision making when we make a trip out to Bass Pro this weekend, just hoping i don't come back home broke, definitely easy to do at that place.