masterbass

Rod Rating Vs Weights Used

Why do so many of us use such powerful rods for jigs and t-rigs?  I have a dx 743 and I read guys say they wouldn't use anything over 1/4oz on it yet the lure rating is 1/4-3/4. For 1/2 oz people recommend 745?  What's the purpose of the lure rating on the rod?

Less than rating the rod won't load, more than rating the rod will overload, so too little or too much the rod won't cast the lure properly.

Less than rating the rod won't load, more than rating the rod will overload, so too little or too much the rod won't cast the lure properly.

I know, but what is the purpose of the lure rating on the rod if it isn't accurate?

it is accurate, they were probably saying they dont use more than 1/4oz jigs. A 1/4oz jig head plus hook, skirt, wire tie or rattles etc plus the plastic trailer you put on ends up being a 1/2oz. +

• Like 1

Gotta take the trailer weight into consideration

• Like 1

The rod rating is a good guide. Don't be afraid to exceed it though. I generally throw lures that exceed a rods rating anywhere from a 1/8-3/8oz. You can whip them out there. The lure plays a role too. A bulky jig or spinner bait will cast different than a pencil type lure or senko.

my dx 743 used to be my 1/4oz tube/plastic rod and weightless senko rod when I had a Core50 on it ..... now that I have a TP on it I like it of 1/4oz footballs plus rage craw type stuff.

that hunk of plastic on the back weighs more than you think. really a 1/4oz and a trigged ragecraw is pushing 1/2oz

and speaking strictly in the dobyns line(I don't know many other rods) a very very basic starting point is take the low rating and use that or + 1/8oz as the leadhead weight then when you add your plastic/bait/ect you have hit the sweetspot.  

examples:

dx742 casting...... low rating is 3/16.... rod is perfect for 3/16 or 1/4oz shakyheads with a zoom magnum shake worm

dx743 casting.......low rating is 1/4 .... perfect for 1/4 oz jigs plus trailer or senkos or 1/4oz small bait trigs

dx744 casting ......low rating is 3/8..... is there a better 3/8 jig plus trailer rod? probably not

ect, ect

• Like 1

I will say too........ line size plays a role too......if you stay in the middle of the rating(total weight) and middle of line rating you should be good for most people.

I get really picky sometimes with my stuff, sometimes to a detriment.

I know, but what is the purpose of the lure rating on the rod if it isn't accurate?

dude you asked what was the purpose, what may be inaccurate in weight is what you tie, for example a 3/8 oz double willow spinnerbait does not weight 3/8 of an ounce.

The lure parameters on a rod is an estimate, 2 identically labeled rods from 2 different companies may load up differently.   Whether I under or over load a rod depends on a few factors such as technique, species, desired casting distance.  I often under load if I need just a minimal distance, crappie jigs have been catching lots of nice bass and peacocks.  Conversely if I'm fishing from an elevated position or rougher water needing distance as well has having the lure penetrate the water instead of bouncing on top (very noticeable with spoons) I almost always over load.  Some of rods are close to 10 years old, no problems.

Rod rating are all subjective, so they are accurate is someone's opinion. Your mileage may vary. The sweet spot generally lies somewhere in the middle of the suggested range. You'll know right away if the rod is not loading of if it's under powered.