Sign in to follow this  
fishballer06

Advantages Of Green Fluorocarbon?

I have always used clear FC in the past, but I know some companies offer their FC in green. Is there any advantage to using green fluorocarbon over the standard clear? 

There was an article a ways back, that suggested that colored FC line was often as much as 10% weaker than that of the same line in clear.

• Like 1

Yup, there´s one advantage for short sighted people like me, you can see it against the background.

I don't use colored fluoro, but I use colored copoly.

P-Line's mist green, and Yo-Zuri Hybrid green.

P-Line's Floroclear mist green tends to blend better 

into the local water color - to my eyes. While YZH's 

green is a bit more visible.

Both work great, though. I have plenty of luck with 

BPS XPS fluoro in clear, but vast majority of what I 

use is the green copoly blends.

I've pondered buying some colored fluoro - some of 

the Sunline versions come in various colors. I see 

mostly good reviews...

+1 ... Some suggest that clear FC in bright light can get a sparkle issue with the line but I think this really only an issue with larger line diameters . Not wanting to lose strength in my FC , so I have stayed with the clear .

There was an article a ways back, that suggested that colored FC line was often as much as 10% weaker than that of the same line in clear.

If you're fishing dingy or stained water it matches the background better by eliminating the shine a little. It also blends in better to the background as it's a more natural color. I use the green tint if possible, and I have noticed zero difference in strength vs clear fluoro. I ran both on my reels this year and with Berkley 100% didn't have any issues.

One of fluorocarbon's advantages is its refractive index that is close to water, making the line less visible. I would rather not have my line dyed unless it was for RAUL's purpose to make it more visible for the user. I feel, if anything, the green stain would make the line more visible to the fish.