Jraut98

Striper Rod

I'm looking to buy a new striped bass spinning rod but am not sure what to get for my needs. I need a short rod around 6 foot that can handle striped bass around 35-40 inches. I also if possible would like the rod to be a blessing to fish poppers and lures if possible? What should I get?

My striper rig is a G.Loomis 844C/ CTE200GT/ Tatsu #20

:winter-146:

When I'm not using a 9-wt. fly rod for inshore stripers, I use a Fenwick HMX 7' MXF spinning rod.  I've caught lots of stripers in the 20-30lb. range with it and never felt under gunned.  I think any quality medium power rod will do the job.  I haven't looked, but I'm guessing there will be slim pickings in the 6' length, with most being 6' 6" or 7'.

Tight lines,

Bob

Where will you be catching them?  My set ups would be different in open water or areas where there may be vegetation to contend with.  There is also a difference from shore or boat, lure weights you plan on using, surf conditions.  I have somewhere around 6 different set ups (excluding my surf rods) that I use for snook which run on average about the same size, tarpon run bigger.  I go anywhere form a 3000 to 6000 reel 15 & 20# braided lines, my rods are med (7', 7'6, 8') medium heavy (7', 7'6, 8') with one 7' heavy I only use offshore.  I don't have a go to rod and reel, it varies with location and water.  Last few days we have had calm breeze blowing out to sea, no surf (slight ground swell) with no sea weed be washed in, it's med rods 7'6 and 8' with 15# line, rougher weather I go to the med heavies with 20# and heavier leader.

I have 2 uglystik 7' striper rods with 4000 size penn fierce reels under them.iuse them on shore and im my yak one has braid 30lbs one has 10 lb yo zuri.Use these in the chesepeake bay and potomac river.they have been through hell and.keep on tickin now for about 4 yrs.100$ combos

• Like 1

I have 2 uglystik 7' striper rods with 4000 size penn fierce reels under them.iuse them on shore and im my yak one has braid 30lbs one has 10 lb yo zuri.Use these in the chesepeake bay and potomac river.they have been through hell and.keep on tickin now for about 4 yrs.100$ combos

i love my 4000 sized penn fierce. i believe i only paid $60 for it. put it on a 7'M shakespeare tiger spinning rod i had laying around. ive mostly used it for catfishing though. many of the striper guys on smith mtn lake swear by the medium-light ugly stik striper rods. but most of those guys are also running planer boards and down lines...

I use a Star Rod 7'==3/8 to 2 oz that handles stripers large and small.30Lb Slick 8 PP with 30 lb floro leader on a 70 series reel.