Sign in to follow this  
Siebert Outdoors

Its Not Always The Primer Bulb

Last fishing excursion my outboard starting to act up and not pump constant fuel.  So I started the whole process of elimination of checking the primer bulb and hoses.  Those were aging so I replaced them even though they were not the main problem.  I kept looking and found this little guy hiding under one of the carburetors.  The hose has a slit about 1" long in it.  Simple fix luckily, but one of those things we deal with owning a boat.  I'm in the process of replacing all the fuel line in the motor that shows any wear so this doesnt happen on a big lake.

post-1319-0-62471900-1415985591_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Oy.  Guess I better start keeping a small length of line and extra hose clamps in my boat now.  Good post!

• Like 1

Oy.  Guess I better start keeping a small length of line and extra hose clamps in my boat now.  Good post!

After this ordeal I'm going to also.  My motor has about 4 different sizes of line too.

Boats...... :rolleyes:

Boats...... :rolleyes:

Exactly!

I had a similar problem, the line going to the pulse fuel pump had a 1" slit right where it clamped on to. Air was getting in and the first place everyone says is check the bulb, but I always check the lines.

Glad you found it..........I always worry about leaky fuel lines......me skeered of Fire on da boat.

Glad you found it..........I always worry about leaky fuel lines......me skeered of Fire on da boat.

No Joke.  The amount of fuel it was throwing before I caught it was a huge fire hazard.

That is why I have a tech look my motor over at least yearly and provide all the necessary maintainence and replace anything needed. Usually costs less than a C note.

That is why I have a tech look my motor over at least yearly and provide all the necessary maintainence and replace anything needed. Usually costs less than a C note.

Yeah,  I did that a couple months ago.  I think they charged 80 to do it.  It pretty much follows my luck of something breaks right after it is looked at.

What kind of motor and how old is it? You now have me concerned and I will be checking my fuel lines out real soon, since my motor is very old. Thanks for the heads up.

Its a 2001 ficht. Its not the first line ive had break. I had a merc that did it also. It cracked right at the connection.

Had the original fuel line in the motor crack last year on the Chickahominy River disabling the motor.

Had to fish the creek all day long using my trolling motor.

Landed three keepers. Would have had four if one of the local bass pros had not jumped in front of me prefishing for a tournament and nail one about 25 yards down the shore that I was heading to fish.

So you have to check all hoses and connections, even the one in the motor.

• Like 1

I carry extra fuel line in my boat. Once when preparing to launch and I pumped the bulb, gas dripped on my wrist. There was a split at the clamp for the motor. I cut the end off and re-clamped. I was glad the gas dripped on my wrist because had I been on the water and the motor started sucking air I might have had trouble determining why the motor shut off.