Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD46

How To Rig : Zoom "the Fluke"

I'm not talking about the easy to rig : Zoom Super Fluke OR Super Fluke Jr. - I'm talking about the standard Zoom : "The Fluke" model !

Which side is up ? How do you rig a EWG hook on this model ? ...What appears to be the belly on : "The Fluke" comes down to such a narrow angle that I am having trouble envisioning just how to rig it with a EWG hook - your thoughts & experiences ?? ... This standard Zoom "The Fluke" looks like it would be awesome on a Carolina Rig (if I can just figure out how to rig it properly / straight) !

The flat side is up on the regular fluke and rigging it is the same as any other soft jerkbait. You can use the EWG or "J" style hooks as long as it has a wide gap but my absolute favorite hands down is the light wire Owner twist lock hook in a 4/0. The number for these hooks is 5167-141 and some packs have a sticker that says "designed by Gary Yamamoto for use with the Senko" of something like that. I'm gibing you the fine details of that hook as it makes it easy to rig the fluke and it works so well I quit using the wide gap "J" hooks I once swore by and judging from your post I am thinking you'll like this hook as well. Simply screw the lock in the nose of the fluke and line it up to see where the bait will line up and then insert your hook and rig Tex-posed like other soft jerkbaits and you're done, a perfectly rigged fluke and all you need to remember is flat side up and you'll have it.

• Like 1

Smalljaw67 : Thanks for the reply - I actually have a pack of those Owner hooks you recommend (got them at WM of all places ...)

I will give it a try as you stated - biggest place to be careful is coming back through the bottom of "The Fluke" as that area is sooo narrow ! ... The potential positive results though appear to be too hard to pass up on a C- Rig this Winter as it's shape / lighter body should have it darting and gliding great (perfect for a C-Rig) .

those standard flukes are very thin, and it's critical that you get that hook dead center. You can fish them flat side up or flat side down, each way has a slightly diffrent action and fall to it. I personally wouldn't use an EWG hook, I'd use a 1-2/o one of these. HookWorm_OffsetShank_Red_9772-1.jpg

• Like 1

Another effective way to rig em is though the nose.

If you do rig them Texas style and want a little depth either use a light split shot about 18" up, or put a smal nail weight nearer the tail.

For the small size fluke you may be better off useing a thin ribbed finishing nail. It'll be easier to get it in.

Mike

those standard flukes are very thin, and it's critical that you get that hook dead center. You can fish them flat side up or flat side down, each way has a slightly diffrent action and fall to it. I personally wouldn't use an EWG hook, I'd use a 1-2/o one of these.

I've tried that -- it's maddening.  Ten minutes trying to get it on straight followed by swearing as I watch it spin through the water.

I only use them nose-hooked, twist-locked or as swim-jig trailers anymore. 

I've tried that -- it's maddening.  Ten minutes trying to get it on straight followed by swearing as I watch it spin through the water.

I only use them nose-hooked, twist-locked or as swim-jig trailers anymore. 

haha yea man they can be a pain but once they're on straight they're ok. you might like them better on small ball head jigs, either a 1/8 or 1/4 Oz. They stay straightest that way.

Dropshot,nose hooked.

Everyone rigs the Fluke the flat back up, hook Texposed. If you want the Fluke to hunt, rig it belly up back down, swims better and easier to rig straight.

Flukes make good Scrounger trailers!

Tom

Thanks for the replies - all helpful ! ... The standard Fluke is not the easiest to rig - but it has it's niche applications worth investigating .

i agree with a post above to use a straight shank offset hook. I have found the hookup ratio to be much higher since the hook will exit the back of the fluke at an angle upon hookset. 

Get some Trokars or Lazers......that fish ain't goin' nowhere! 

• Like 1

Not meaning to confuse you, but I've been useing the skip gap style hook almost exclusively now for flukes.

Like them much better.

Hold's them straight and tight.

Mike

Wacky rigged (go in the side and out the top)  I use a #1 Finesse Wide Gap hook.    twitch it up and then let it fall.

• Like 1

Guess I'm the oddball. I mostly do use a small EWG hook, and just make sure they're on dead straight. I don't find it to be all that difficult.