Don't Tell The Wife

Planning A Fishing Trip For 2Nd Week In Feb

I am looking to plan a trip this February so a buddy and I can get some solid fishing in and the wife wants to travel somewhere she has not been.  The wife is due in late march and we will be bringing our 3 year old so it would be good to have things to do near by.  We were thinking Lake Fork but we are open to other ideas if people think it is overrated.  We would like to have the opportunity at solid #'s each day with the good chance for some big fish (wouldn't we all :)).  We would ideally get a cabin or house on the lake with a guide for the first few days until we get a good feel for things.  Please let me know if I can provide any other helpful information and thanks in advance on any input as it is always nice to get input from people who have good information from previous experience. 

We will be leaving from Kansas City, MO and looking 10-12 hours but less is always preferred.  I think Fork is about 8 and we will be towing Z21 ranger.

Fork is good for fishing, but not much else. When I was out there a few years back, I don't recall seeing much of anything to do out there besides fish.

I love fishing Fork, and until last year, it's where I caught my PB, but there is zilch to do for the family.  I would suggest that you switch your efforts to Pickwick Lake.  Much more to do with the family there, and the Lake has been really hot, fishing wise, for the last several years.

If you have any interest in multispecies fishing, Beaver Lake can be an absolute blast that time of year. You can catch the big 3 species of bass, stripers, wipers, white bass, walleye, crappie, all 3 big species of catfish, drum, among others, sometimes all from the same spot on the same bait. A friend and I went 2 years ago and combined we both caught new personal best stripers and walleye, while he caught new PB smallmouth and wiper, and I caught a new PB spotted bass. We also caught largemouth up to 6.25 pounds. It can be really tough too, but that's why they call it fishing right? Plus there's plenty to do in Rogers and other close by cities. 

A little late for this reply but if you are up for the travel, Florida is the fishing capital of the world for a reason. From north Florida to the great south Florida, they have some of the best opptunities to catch big bass around. I live here in Virginia Beach and some buddies and I take a trip to South Florida every year to catch big bass in Okeechobee and the Everglades and then take specific trips to Miami to catch Peacock Bass. Its by far the best fishing ive done and you can catch them in some of the same places you can catch giant Largemouth. Pound for pound they are the strongest bass we can catch here in the states and in my opinion the absolute coolest looking fish too. Just a thought, but a great place for largemouth and peacocks.

Toho and Kissimee, all the attractions are right there. Brian.

• Like 1