SirSnookalot

Looking To Replace My Clarus

Been using a 6'6 med 6/12 Clarus for the last 5 years, the positives to this rod are a foregrip and lure parameter of 1/8-1/2 oz.  The negative is the backbone, it actually has less backbone than my light power Redbone.  A ml 7' redbone sounds like the ticket but the lure minimum is 1/4 oz, I use 1/8 jigs for my peacocks, not sure if the rod will load up.  Looked at a few rods at DGS, not too impressed with their offerings, either no fore grip of felt the backbone wasn't any better than my Clarus.  I did like a TFO signature, I have always liked them in the heavier models, DSG had a ml 7'6 1/8-12 split grip on sale.  Keeping my eyes open for a while until I find 7' non split grip TFO or may gamble on being able to cast light jigs with ml Redbone.  Of all the spinning rods I have past and present, prefer my Redbones to anything else.

Treat yourself to a G.Loomis GLX PR844S  http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/classic_saltwater/popping_rods.html

Mine is matched to a Stella 2500FB spooled with Yo-Zuri Hybrid #4. This is the new FI   http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/fishing-reels/spinning/stella-fi.html

This rig will meet all of your freshwater needs and some saltwater applications. Consider disposing of all

your other gear in an eco-friendly way!

:occasion5:

I suggest a St Croix 6'9" MLXF. I have an LTB but from the Mojo up they are nice rods.

Good day Sir.  Up early........or late?  :teeth:  I picked up a 7' ML Redbone casting rod earlier this year (thanks for the recommendation).  It is rated 3/8-3/4 oz., but I felt from handling it in the store that it would cast lighter.  I used it for 10" ribbontail worms with a 3/0 hook...weightless.  No problem casting it.  No idea of total weight, but doubt it reaches 3/8 oz.

Wish I could offer you some useful insights, but haven't used any of the rods you mentioned.  I've got various models from at least a dozen different manufacturers.  You would think I'd have at least one model you mentioned, but nope.  I'm a fan of Fenwick.  I see they have a 6'9" and 7' MLF in the HMG line that are rated 1/8-5/8 oz.  No idea if the backbone is sufficient.  I have a spinning and casting HMG but both are older models.

I'd try the redbone ML.

From my experience with a similar rated 7'ML of 1/4-1/2, the rod throws down 1/16 to 1/8 jigs fine.

Why not pick up the ML redbone from a local store and bring it home to see how well it loads with your 1/8 oz jigs?  Worst case scenario is you drive back to the store for a return.

I actually ordered a ml Redbone last week but canceled the order when I realized it was a 2 piece.   Think I will hunt down a 1 piece, own 7 Redbones already.

I have a calico jack 7' ML, same company that makes the redbones and same 6-12, 1/4 - 1/2 rating. I have a 2500 reel on it, and use it for weightless flukes and 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs. It throws the 1/8 jigs great, and I have caught some decent sized snook with it. I also have a 7'6" M clarus that is rated for 1/4-3/4 and I agree it doesn't have quite as much backbone as other medium rods.

@tstone, I agree with your opinion.  I have a med Calico Jack that I use for bass in canals, been very pleased with it.  I did see the ml, I didn't buy because of the lure weight, glad to hear you throw 1/8 oz on yours.  No rush, going to look around a bit more.

@tstone, I agree with your opinion.  I have a med Calico Jack that I use for bass in canals, been very pleased with it.  I did see the ml, I didn't buy because of the lure weight, glad to hear you throw 1/8 oz on yours.  No rush, going to look around a bit more.

I love my 7' Spinning Fenwick Aetos  Medium/Fast and the rating 1/8 to 3/4.  The lightest I've thrown is a weightless trick worm on a 2/0 hook, it is paired with a Stradic FJ 2500 10lb Power Pro with a 6lb floro leader. 

When mine got broken I stepped up to a Compre, and it was a dramatic step. I love that rod! I retipped the Clarus, put my old Sahara reel on it, spooled it with Yo-Zuri Hybrid, and it's now my wife's rod and she loves it.

What I do like about my Clarus is the way my hand fits on it, very comfortable.  I looked again yesterday and those rods without a fore grip are just not to my liking.  DSG had a clearance on redbones, not a one in the store, Bones are real popular down here.

They havent made a rod in the past 4 years that I find comfortable.  Everyone seems to think holding onto bare thin graphite tube with sharp edged seats is comfortable.  Falcon's basic coastal model is my only choice in getting a normal hand filling grip without paying loomis' shimano prices.

• Like 1