Brnnoser6983

Still Need Work

So I posted a coupe days ago where is the savings in tackle making. Well I found it. I went to the local shop, plus some online shopping and have gotten my cost down to under $5 a spinner after the first 5. I should be able to make a handful more for under $3 now.

But I have to give credit to you crafters and fly makers out there. While this was only my first spinner made, and there was a lot to learn.I know I need to make my skirt lower. I know I need to invest in a bobbin holder. A vise would be nice. And that tool to create a knot would be great!

But I feel accomplished, and proud that my lure should catch something, and if not I will learn more.

I will post a pic as soon as I get off my phone and on my pc.

Custom tackle making, be it rods, baits, jigs or lures adds a sense of satisfaction to each catch which is the real reason to pursue the craft. Cost savings may or may not materialize. If the do, icing on the cake!

• Like 2

The price was part of it. I wanted good spinners, cheap.. But in the end seeing the result I feel that price went out the window, and pride took over. Sure this is probably one of the easiest starting points (starting with inlined), but it is a start.

Like Seibert said, the satisfaction of catching fish on something you made is a big part of the draw to lure making for me. The ability to customize a bait to my exact needs is another big portion of it. There's so many baits out there that all look alike, just with different names on them. I wanted to be able to mess with design and colors so I could get a bait that I really wanted that was different than the rest. It really makes a huge difference at times. 

• Like 1

I like being able to catch fish on stuff that I shot haha. (Flies and some jigs from hair and feathers). Costs a lot less for one shotgun shell, bullet, etc than it does to get a "rabbit mask", bucktail, etc from a fly shop.

Like Seibert said, the satisfaction of catching fish on something you made is a big part of the draw to lure making for me. The ability to customize a bait to my exact needs is another big portion of it. There's so many baits out there that all look alike, just with different names on them. I wanted to be able to mess with design and colors so I could get a bait that I really wanted that was different than the rest. It really makes a huge difference at times. 

X2 :smile11: