Srome002

First Time On Okechobee

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of taking my first trip up to the lake soon. Any advice on where I can launch off and the best place to start for a beginner at the lake?

Thank you

Have you considered hiring a guide for the first time? That would advances your learning curve. Steve Daniels and Capt. Shane Procell both guide on the Big O.

• Like 1

I'll second Steve Daniel, easily one of the best on the lake, Steve and his Wife Deb are also Top Shelf people. Pay for a day, you won't regret it. Brian.

First, good advice on guides.  You can learn and catch more fish in two days than four or five days on your own, I would estimate, because it is your first time.

Rolands is hard to beat.  They do run out of shiners often because they sell them to the guides first.   If you are shiner fishing with no guide, be prepared to go to Slims, 30 minutes south, or somewhere else.

If you are lure fishing, you are close to good water at Rolands.  Get a good map.  Cross reference with Navionics online map and aerial maps.  Start studying.   You'll find fish within 5 minutes of Rolands, if you study.

Went for the first time in over 20 years back in 2011.  Fished for 5 days.  Got my pb of 9.5 pounds.   No guide.

The lake is huge.

I agree with hiring a guide. They can show you around, explain the layout, and show you the spots and technique.

The closest boat ramps to broward are south bay, clewiston and belleglade. Anywhere around torry island/ pelican bay are good or if you leave out of clewiston try around uncle joes cut  area or the west wall. Good luck!