Jraut98

Is There A Rod That Fits?

I'm looking for one spinning rod that can fit all these specifications if possible. I want a rod that I can use to catch perch, largemouth, and striped bass. The biggest striped bass I'll be catching with the rod is about 30 inches mostly smaller though. I don't know if this is possible so I don't know what to get. I currently have a st croix premier med power fast action and that works okay but I want to upgrade. I was thinking about an avid but am not sure. Is there anything better? I don't want to spend more than 200 on the rod. Also I fish in brackish water.

Look into coastal/inshore style rods. Shimano terramar is a good stick for the purposes your looking for, won't break the bank either.

If you get the right rod for perch you are going to be at a disadvantage for stripers & bass. Better to chose the rod for bass & stripers & let it make do for your perch fishing. A MF avid would make a good all around rod & be a serious upgrade from the premier. 

• Like 3

A medium fast is a good all around rod but u may need to get a separate rod for perch. 

I think the Hurricane Redbone would be another excellent choice that won't break the bank.  Hopefully SirSnookalot will reply.  He does a lot of fishing in salt and fresh water with rods less than $200 with great success, and does it all with spinning rods.

I use medium and medium heavy spinning rods lots of time when fishing for bluegills and crappie, I have caught several fattie LMB while doing this with live bait or micro jigs. I also do use a ml avid in 7' as well... Often times in creek fishing I may use a ultra light as well, it just depends on what my waters may have in the way of fish species as well as size, eg: no worries about a 8 llb LMB coming out of skinny water around here, in Fl. You bet!

The perch is the sacrificial lamb, if you get a rod that will not really overpower a perch you are going to your clock cleaned by a 25" striper, you need 2 rods at a minimum.

The only thing I can think of to do is to go with a rod from around 7'6¨ to 8'. I would look for something really fast action- like a popping cork rod used on flats, and find one that is around 8-14 test. The length should make it easy enough to cast light baits for perch but should still cushion the line enough for a striper.

Okay I'm kind of a beginner with bait casters but I'm looking to buy one and am not sure really what to get. I'll be using it to catch striped bass biggest being around 25-30 inches no bigger. Also I'll be using it to catch largemouth bass. My buddy has a carrot stix but I don't know if that's a good rod. Plus idk what kinda reel to get any suggestions would be helpful

"I don't want to spend more than 200 on the rod"

Double post, merged.

-Kent  a.k.a. roadwarrior

Global Moderator

Best bet is to buy an under $50 rod for panfish perch then purchase a better quality Medium Heavy rod to fish for the larger game fish with.

One will rod struggle mightly with both.

"I don't want to spend more than 200 on the rod"

Double post, merged.

-Kent a.k.a. roadwarrior

Global Moderator

Thanks.