Sign in to follow this  
bassinyea

Berkley Hollow Belly Swimbaits

So I was going through my retired lures tacklebox that I have where I place baits that I thought either sucked or have caught a bunch of fish and were retired.  Stumbled across 2 swimbaits that at first had no idea what they were.  After some thinking I remembered what they were.  They are original hollow belly swimbaits by berkley.  Gotta say they look pretty nice.  Just checked online to look at some and seems like they are no where to be found hardly.  Did they stop production on these or something?  Anybody got some info?

I have used them before and they will catch fish. I am just not a fan of them though. You can peel off the outer layer around the tail to make them kick easier btw.

They still offer a split belly swimbait, not sure if there is a difference.  For a lot of info on rigging and fishing them go to the In-Fisherman web site.

I have both the Hollow belly and the split belly and there is a time and place they seem to really work for me. The time in our waters is now, once the water gets above 55 degrees the hollow belly and the split belly will draw strikes from staging females looking to gorge right before they go to the beds. I have one rigged on a rod every time I go out now, and how I rig it depends on the weather, if the weather is stable and the fish are moving up on the flats, I will throw a 5" model with a 5/0 - 1/8oz weighted  Gamakatsu superline EWG hook and slowly reel it back. If a cold front moves the fish back I'll use a 1/2oz Buckeye Lures J-Will swimbait head and slow roll it out in deeper water at the first drop. I will use one during the summer as well but the conditions have to be right and I'll use the smaller 3.5" and occasionally the 4.5" Bass Magic hollow swim baits.

I think they went out of production. There I a box with about 30 of them inside at my local tackle store

TW has Berkley Powerbait Split Belly Swimbait 

Really good bait

Try hanging one on the back of a Freedom Tackle Hydra Hybrid Jig head - without a skirt.

Killer.

A-Jay