Sign in to follow this  
fishindad

Best Line For Tube Fishing/dragging

Need some suggestions for what line others use for mostly dragging tubes over sand/gravel/zebra mussels for smallies with spinning tackle. I've tried braid with fluoro and straight braid but am not happy so far this year with either choice. I am thinking to use a straight abrasion-resistant copolymer line like Maxima or YZH, which I've used in lower lb tests and like them a lot. I do want to go with straight fluoro since they are sensitive and abrasion-resistant but am afraid that 10 or 12 lb test would be too springy and hard to manage (even though I'm not casting, mostly dragging). What is the "best" line for tube dragging for smallies? Should I try a high end fluoro like Tatsu? Should I choose a better knot for braid to fluoro? Been using the Alberto knot but am having breakoffs. It's frustrating since I've lost a few good smallies so far and it's only May..

10# Seaguar Invisx. Drinch it with KVD Line conditioner the day before use then use whatever method to get the twist out. I have a barrel swivel tied to a tree that I tie my line on then I let all my line out, flip my bail and pull it tight. I keep some pressure on it as I reel in. Sounds like a lot of trouble but totally worth it. You can just drop your tube in the water and let your line out while the boat idles to straighten your line.

No line is going to hold up to zebra muscles, it's like a knife, I will usually use 12 pound leader on top of braid, but it gets frayed pretty easily. Just watch your line.

Thanks, I admit I should probably retie more often but also need to make a line change. Keep the suggestions coming, much appreciated!

if you want the "best", i'd recommend from experience Sunline shooter. I use it for all bottom contact baits and fish zebra muscle infested waters. Tough as nails and the best fluoro i've used. 

Thanks iabass. I've used Sniper on spinning tackle but not Shooter. How do you think 10 lb. test would handle on a 2500 Daiwa spinning reel? Any worse than say P-Line CXX?

I think you would be okay /w 10 thoughht i prefer 8 and under on spining tackle. i usually fish 7. 10# shooter vs 10# cxx on a spinning reel will be night and day. if you're okay /w CXX on a spinning reel you will fall in love /w shooter. 

Thanks again. I am torn between going to a baitcaster for tube dragging or sticking with spinning tackle, which is what I prefer to use on St Clair (gets very windy). I'll try a spool of the 10lb Shooter first before I make any rod/reel switch.

Thanks again. I am torn between going to a baitcaster for tube dragging or sticking with spinning tackle, which is what I prefer to use on St Clair (gets very windy). I'll try a spool of the 10lb Shooter first before I make any rod/reel switch.

A baitcast outfit with heavier fluorocarbon like Shooter might be your best bet.

I have been dragging for smallmouth with 8 pound Vanish for over 15 years.   Say what you will, but I have never seen a reason to change.

My rod of choice for 3.5in. and bigger tubes is a baitcaster paired with a Daiwa Sol. I even fish them weightless on that combo and (don't tell anyone) use 30lb. Seaguar braid with a flouro leader.  I retie often when fishing chunk rock because I don't trust the hype about it (fluorocarbon) being more abrasion resistant than good old Original Stren, which I would also retie frequently.