Sign in to follow this  
scfox11

C-Riggin Above Grass, Fly Fishing Strike Indicator?

I have searched and read about C-riggin where there is grass in the lake.  I know this topic has been beat a little also.  One of the spots I fish has a lot of green on the bottom, though not to tall, maybe 6'', give or take a couple inches.  I use a fluro leader and am sticking with that.  I have some fly fishing strike indicators I use for fly fishing, do yall think that will work sticking one towards the worm to keep it up a little bit?  I am aware of the Bettis carolina floater but nobody carries then in store around here and I am heading out monday, but it is something like this.. http://www.orvis.com/p/stick-on-oval-indicators/25ac

I Highly recommend you try a drop shot rig right there.

I fish that type of cover successfully all the time in deep clear water.

By controlling the length of the "Drop" a drop shot allows you to present the plastic of you choice OVER & ABOVE the weeds on the bottom.  I often do well by rigging it up so the bait is very close to the grass rather than hovering a foot or more over it - seems more natural.

And there's no rules when it comes to line type or test.  Rig what ever will get the job done.  

Also, though often thought of as a vertical presentation, and there's no doubt that works, casting a drop shot out away from the boat is often very effective - at least in my little world it is. 

And don't forget to Tex-pose your plastic

Good Luck

A-Jay

• Like 1

Even with that no plastics will float you have to actually use a brand that does float i do know luck e strike has floating worms and lizards

Thanks, I looked into the floating worms I just don't have time to get them before I head out on monday.  I will have a drop shot tied on as well though, thanks again.

• Like 1

The Zman baits will float above grass with the right size hook. I've used them in grass with pretty good success on a C-rig. 

If you have a hardware store near you go there and pick up a few packs of foam ear plugs, not the rubber ones. Take a small hook and use it to make a hole through the foam ear plug. Once you do that you can tie your hook on and then thread the ear plug onto the hook, and then push it over the hook and onto the line, this will really help keep the worm up a little longer. The reason is the foam is very dense and it takes a long time for it to absorb water, it won't float the worm but when you move your C-rig, the worm will come up higher and it will sink but it will do very slow.