Sign in to follow this  
PeterF

Pliers

I've got the monkey on my back, it's Chrismas  ;D. I'm looking for a set of pliers under $100. I currently have a set of XTools and the cutter is not working as it once did. I'd like something with replacable cutting blades. I saw the Brownings at BPS, anyone use these? Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays  ;)

I tell you what just go out and get yourself the Rapala Hemo, needle combo and forget all that other stuff! I have used my set for the past 7 years and love them! I have gone from Little River Canyon to off Cape San Blas with them and they have never let me down! I wouldn't rcomend anything else, their that good. And they are way under $100. But if cost is more important than quality buy more x tools, only good thing about them is they float, and that doesn't do you any good in a boat thats trolling. So just go with these and keep it under $30, trust me.

the browning pliers are good pliers.

however, since i had so many shimano reels, i got the shimano pliers (http://www.anglerscenter.com/acc_shimano_tools.htm)

note* when i first got my pliers, they didn NOT work very well, the cutting edges didn't touch.  So, i called shimano, they told me to send them back.

they told me they made a complete new run ...i can't vouch for that, and they sent me a new pair.  AND, they sent me a great looking shimano hat & shimano golf shirt.   ...i like shimano ;)

ronnie

Thanks guys. Peter, I couldn't find that model. JT, what model are they from the link you sent me? Thanks again.

You guys make me feel bad! Shiman, Rapala,.....I got the five dollar Fishermans friend version at Harbor freight and thought I was doing good! ;) Actually it is not a bad set. Seems to be stainless and you get pliers hemmostat and sissors. Works for me!

Jim

I wouldn't settle for anything less than titanium pliers from Van Staal. They might be a couple of bucks more than some are willing to spend, but you get what you pay for.  ;D  ;D  ;D

81295b.jpg

Order

Qty      Our

Price      Item

Number      Description      Size

$279.00      38-423-516-00      TITANIUM PLIERS      6"

*        $314.00      38-423-518-00      TITANIUM PLIERS        7"

Ive got to say i went with the Rapala pliers as well.  Have worked great so far.  They dont cut worth a darn but hey, i spent about 10 bucks or something on them and then went to Wal mart and bought me a nice pair of titanium bladed scissors to cut my braided line with, about 6 bucks in the crafts dept.  

i used to have a pair of $4 wal mart pliers and the cut braid with ease, better than my brothers $20 rapalas, pliers are pliers, get whatever is reasonably priced.

I use my Gerber Multi tool for everything in the boat...... why have a pair of pliers when I can have one tool for everything.  From a screwdriver, knife to cutters, and a file, etc... all on my belt, where it dont get lost.

Guest avid

I use the black handled BPS split ring pliers.  I find that the little tooth comes in handy for split rings, split shot, and the occassional dental emergency.

Well fellows i really can't say why you should be having trouble cutting with the rapala pliers, I use mine to cut through everything from mono to braided wire leader. The combo I put a link up for has that split ring thingy and your right Avid those come in great handy!

I picked up a pair of those Browning pliers not too long ago.  I like them a lot, but I often thought to myself that they would be even better if they had a longer nose.

So what do I see when I opened my BPS X-mas catalog?  Two versions of the Browning pliers.  The one I have, and a new version that's more needle-nose ;)

So I'd recommend the Browning pliers in the new needle nose version.

For pliers I use mechanic's needlenose from Craftsman, Ace, etc.  Usually try get a pair that have the cutting surface.  To me pliers are pliers.  Mine aren't expensive.  If I need to cut braid, I have a Buck in my pocket for that.

I also use the Gerber multi-tool. I have at least 10 different pairs of pliers, including the Rapala, the Staal in stainless steel and the Browning. I have used all extensively and I always came back to the Gerber. I will not use or buy any others. (Sounds like and oath. LOL)

Maybe I should have a yard sale.