Sign in to follow this  
Craw

Black Crankbaits?

Hey guys. I got into a conversation with a guy about fishing and we were trading ideas about different baits, color schemes, techniques, etc. when he explained that one of his most productive baits was a black crankbait. He said the Bandit series in all black was a killer for him. Any thoughts on using a black crankbait? This has really got me curious because of all the other baits I use in that color. Why not black for a crankbait? The Bandit series cranks are really popular and they make a good looking one in black that has red eyes. Anyone have any experience with this particular bait?

THEY WORK. JUST LIKE AINT TEXAN SAID, WHEN YOU WANT THE CONTRAST, AT NIGHT I'VE CAUGHT ALOT ON A BLACK BOMBER THAT I REPAINTED.

Guest avid

I have had good luck with a black wiggle wart.  The very end has a dab of chartruese on it.

Good low light cranker.

Hey guys. I got into a conversation with a guy about fishing and we were trading ideas about different baits, color schemes, techniques, etc. when he explained that one of his most productive baits was a black crankbait. He said the Bandit series in all black was a killer for him. Any thoughts on using a black crankbait? This has really got me curious because of all the other baits I use in that color. Why not black for a crankbait? The Bandit series cranks are really popular and they make a good looking one in black that has red eyes. Anyone have any experience with this particular bait?

It's been 6 years since this post. Any additional thoughts on a black crankbait?

One would use a black crankbait for the same reason they'de use a black jig: It creates a nice profile in darker, stained water. Makes sense to me

Didn't Ish Monroe win an Elite series tourney using a black crankbait? I am wanting to think I read that somewhere...

I never have tried one, but I would asume they would catch some fish. Especially at night time like mentioned above.

jkarol, that's exactly what I was thinking. Back in the day, we threw black jigs, buzzbaits and worms. This, by the way, was during daylight in stained or murky water.

I have some of the black Bandits and they are a good bait in dark water, dark days it seems. Basically anytime the fish can't really see you're bait very well and just need a good profile for them to hone in on.

In really murky water, would an all black crank be better than a chartreuse one?

I have a couple of all black Rat-L-Traps that work well at night and in really murky water. I've never thrown them in clear or slightly stained water or in the middle of the day. I guess I'll give that a try.

Tom

I have a black custom Norman DLN that is lights at night...that is all the info I will provide :)

In really murky water, would an all black crank be better than a chartreuse one?

Probably would be easier for them to see at least. Which one is better would vary day to day though I'm guessing.

Can't say that I've fished a black crankbait, but worms, buzzbaits, and jigs in black all the time even in clear water and during the day. But than again we do things a bit different up in the North Country.

I've used a Norman Little N and Bagley BB1 or BB2 in black with an orange belly for too many years to remember in the Atchafalaya Basin with very good results.

I use a black and a colored flake to remain nameless that I painted. It flat out hammers in every water condition that I have tried.