I would love to learn more about fishing, in what order should i start going step by step trying to study & learn? What i mean is if i can put it into words.I would think the first step is their seasonal migration.I fished all day on Telico Lake & i didn't have any luck & my Brother was North of where i was & he had a real good day & i was talking to him about it & he ask what king of place i was fishing & i told him & he said where i was it was to early in the year, that i was where i needed to be in about a month.So my point is you can't catch them if you don't know where their at .God Bless & As Always Thanks for your help. .

• Like 1

First off, read EVERYTHING on here.  Great articles and lots of useful info to be put into use to help you get started.  It has greatly expanded my views and arsenal.  Next, pay attention to the water and everything each day you are on the water.  Birds, baitfish, water temp, color, weather(sunny/overcast, wind direction, temp)etc.  What you saw and what you didn't.  When you caught fish and where and when you didn't.  It's all a big puzzle we need to put the pieces together and once you do it will not be so hard.  And keep it simple, sometimes we tend to overthink and spin ourselves out.  They are hard to catch if you don't know where to look and how to target them. 

• Like 1

Read and study as much as you can about different techniques to catch bass and when to use these techniques.Study Bass Biology of your area to be better able to predict where the bass will be at a certain time of year.Get a journal to write down successful bass fishing trips.Write the location,date,time of day,wind direction/speed,water clarity,cover,bait fish around the area,lure used and as much info as possible about the trip.I have done this(and still do it) and it has helped me to be able to find bass in any body of water I fish and catch them on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

I'm basically reiterating what's already been said, but read everything here you can. Read and watch videos elsewhere on the internet as well. And put in time on the water learning from personal experience. It will all add up.

#1: learn what structure is, how to truely identify it, interpret it, and then fish it effectively.

#2: learn what is the predominate prey species in your body of water and how that species relates to structure morning, noon, and night...with each passing season.

#3: understand that next after location is timing; just because you don't get bit does not mean the bass aren't there or you tied on the wrong lure.

#4: understand that to consistently catch bass is a process of elimination and duplication. Eliminate patterns and waters that are non-productive and duplicate patterns and waters that are productive.

#5: when you start understanding the answers to your "catching" dilemmas is not tackle but you; only then will you become more productive.

Anglers often respond to failure and frustration by over- complicating theory and technique. As much as this helps our egos to regard a difficult task as complex, this type of thinking is often the biggest obstacle between you and your fishing success.

• Like 8

#1: learn what structure is, how to truely identify it, interpret it, and then fish it effectively.

#2: learn what is the predominate prey species in your body of water and how that species relates to structure morning, noon, and night...with each passing season.

#3: understand that next after location is timing; just because you don't get bit does not mean the bass aren't there or you tied on the wrong lure.

#4: understand that to consistently catch bass is a process of elimination and duplication. Eliminate patterns and waters that are non-productive and duplicate patterns and waters that are productive.

#5: when you start understanding the answers to your "catching" dilemmas is not tackle but you; only then will you become more productive.

Anglers often respond to failure and frustration by over- complicating theory and technique. As much as this helps our egos to regard a difficult task as complex, this type of thinking is often the biggest obstacle between you and your fishing success.

Really good advice

Looking at your Tellico lake it is a highland/riverine deep structured reservior with both Largemouth and trophy size Smallmouth with clear water. Fort Loudoun lake, Tellico lake both on the Little Tennessee River are big reserviors and will take a lot of time on the water to learn. The bass, both Smallmouth and Largemouth will relate closely to the forage base and River current when generating power.

What specie of bass are you trying to catch, that can make a difference on both locations and lure selections.

Tom

If it makes you feel any better, I spent 6 hours in the cold yesterday, catching only 5 small fish, lol. It was beyond slow. Marked a bunch of fish that looked catchable, but obviously I didn't give them what they wanted.

Anyway, Catt seems spot on (as usual).

Instead of wandering through (somewhat haphazardly) the tons of topics and articles on any forum, I'll suggest you buy a book, and one book only. Murphy's In Pursuit.

You might not need to get into the details about bait sizes/ colors/ types (yet). Read about structure and seasons.

Pick a section of your reservoir (maybe a big cove) and learn to catch bass there.

As mentioned in the previous post by Roadwarrior and myself...hire a guide!

Depending on how fast you learn I would hire a guide once or twice during the spawn and once or twice during the dead of summer. A guide will not waste his reputation or your money on non-productive patterns or in non-productive waters.

From those two time frames and with the help of this site you should be able to discern the rest of the year.

I agree with Catt and also mentioned the hiring a guide, not everyone will do this.

Looking at Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency it has information on Tellico lake regarding Black Bass ( largemouth, smallmouth and spotted) with suggestion where to fish and what lures work there. Spring, Bat, Clear and Island creeks provide good pre spawn area like points and channels.

All we can do is give advice from a distance based on our experiences.

If you have a more specific question regarding how to use sonar or how to fish structure like points and channels, be glad to help.

The area known as "hog jaw" I believe it's called, has all the structure elements you need to learn to fish. The area is below the confluence of the Tellico and Little Tennessee rives, a wider basin created by a big channel S swing. This is very obvious area and probably a will known community fishing zone, however it should hold bass now through March.

Tom

My suggestion is to learn to fish a Texas rig and alternate that with a spinnerbait. These will allowyu to cover the water column effectively. Also, find a small pond, less than 10 acres and find cover to fish and find out how to attack them.

I would love to learn more about fishing, in what order should i start going step by step trying to study & learn? What i mean is if i can put it into words.I would think the first step is their seasonal migration.I fished all day on Telico Lake & i didn't have any luck & my Brother was North of where i was & he had a real good day & i was talking to him about it & he ask what king of place i was fishing & i told him & he said where i was it was to early in the year, that i was where i needed to be in about a month.So my point is you can't catch them if you don't know where their at .God Bless & As Always Thanks for your help. .

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_articles.html