Sign in to follow this  
NiagaraRiver

Favorite Whopper Plopper size and color

Got a gift card to Bass Pro and looking to grab one to fish in the ponds around here and on Erie and the Niagara River..  Just wondering what size and color are the most popular for everyone that owns one..

I don't think there really is a "wrong" color. It seems like it's mainly the disturbance that grabs their attention and makes them attack so viciously. The shad colored 130 has been great for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I don't think there really is a "wrong" color. It seems like it's mainly the disturbance that grabs their attention and makes them attack so viciously. The shad colored 130 has been great for me. 

Would you recommend getting a 130 over the 90? I just don't know what size to get either. .

12 minutes ago, LastCast721 said:

Would you recommend getting a 130 over the 90? I just don't know what size to get either. .

I prefer the 130 because it seems to ride through choppy water better (always windy here), attracts larger fish, and I just prefer larger baits in most cases. Nothing wrong with the 90 though and I'm sure there's plenty of situations when it will outfish the 130. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I prefer the 130 because it seems to ride through choppy water better (always windy here), attracts larger fish, and I just prefer larger baits in most cases. Nothing wrong with the 90 though and I'm sure there's plenty of situations when it will outfish the 130. 

Thanks.. appreciate the help. .

The 130 does pull bigger fish but I've also caught come pretty good spotted bass on the 90.  I usually start with the 130 and if I'm not getting hit I'll drop down to the 90, unless I know the bass are feeding on very small gizzard shad.  That was the case Monday.  I caught one on a rattle trap and it spit up 1" gizzard shad.  Tied on the 90 and wacked em all day long. 

Where I live the bone color is the one to have. 

I Know It, Monkey Butt, and Chubby are also pretty popular.

Fishing those waters, get the yellow perch pattern. It's my favorite!

With topwater type of baits I don't think color makes much of a difference.  When a fish is looking up at a bait all they are seeing is a silhouette.

I recently started fishing the WP and it’s awesome. I’ve caught fish on the Bone color but have caught more on Munky Butt. Both lures are the 90: A friend who owns a tackle shop showed me the I Know It that he has in the 130 and said he had caught over 300 bass on it. Now he only fishes big tournaments. I’m not that good but I have to admit my catch ratio has gone way up since I’ve started using these two lures. I mainly pond fish here in North Carolina. Awesome addition to the tackle box

The new 110 size is a great in between size to own. If I had to pick just one, that would be it. Bone has worked the best for me in any condition. 

Have a 90 in bone. Has caught me smallmouth, large, and whites. I would recommend it but I haven't fished any other color or size.