Sign in to follow this  
Dat_Bass

Best Travel Rod and Reel Combo for Under $200

I'm looking for a new rod and reel to travel with in a car. I just won a tournament and I have $200 to spend. It doesn't necessarily have to be a combo but it does have to be compact and able to fit in small areas. It will be for just bank fishing in small ponds that I find at baseball tournaments. Oh and the caster has to be left handed too:). Thanks!

I have a two of the Daiwa ardito travel rods which I really like. They can be had for under $100 dollars. They run pretty heavy so I think the medium would be a pretty good all around rod unless you fish really light stuff. For the reel maybe a citica i or one of the old model tatulas. 

Do you want a 3 or 4 piece rod?  Or will a 2 piece rod suffice?

The Tatula is a very good option.  The Pflueger Supreme is another.  I am a big fan of my Pinnacle Primmus.  Pinnacle has several that would fit your budget.  A couple have been reviewed in the Fishing Tackle Forum, and got excellent reviews.  I can't speak for the Lew's in that range.  I just received the Tournament MB ($109 on ebay), but it isn't even spooled yet.

Used is a very good option.  Majority of my reels were purchased used.  Several in like new condition.  Hard to beat the quality versus price of such a reel.

For two hundred bucks..... BPS extreme three piece is on sale for 79 on their website. I own one and keep in the car, I love it. That leaves you 120 for a good reel..... Lots of options there. The rod comes with a hard carrying case as well. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Poolshark said:

For two hundred bucks..... BPS extreme three piece is on sale for 79 on their website. I own one and keep in the car, I love it. That leaves you 120 for a good reel..... Lots of options there. The rod comes with a hard carrying case as well. 

Where did you find this?  I could only find the $100 three piece on sale for $80.

On the bps website. It's showing for $79.97 for me. just checked. Carbonlites and extremes, including the three peice travel rod. 

30 minutes ago, Poolshark said:

On the bps website. It's showing for $79.97 for me. just checked. Carbonlites and extremes, including the three peice travel rod. 

I just rounded to $80.  That wasn't what I meant, tho.  Where do you see a $200 three piece rod?  All I could find was $99.99 (or lower) three piece rods.

EDIT:  At more than 50% off, I'd buy one to carry in the trunk.

6 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

I just rounded to $80.  That wasn't what I meant, tho.  Where do you see a $200 three piece rod?  All I could find was $99.99 (or lower) three piece rods.

I was trying to give the OP and idea for a 200 dollar combo. The extreme on sale for $80 and leaving him $120 left for a good reel. Sorry if I stated it ambiguously. The extreme three peice is a 100 dollar rod on sale for $80. ? and is a good value considering....

I own a BPS extreme travel rod.  Good rod for the money.  Only issue is I'm spoiled and it feels comparative to my other rods.  ?

I have two Browning Safari rods (one spinning and one baitcaster) that I keep behind the seat of my truck. I've had them both for several years, and I've caught a ton of fish on both of them. The baitcaster has even made a couple of trips to the Middle East with me. BPS has them on sale right now for $59.99. At that price, you should have plenty of options for a quality reel. They're three piece rods, and they come with a rod sock and hard case. I would highly recommend checking them out.

20160502_110631-1.jpg

Bps extreme travel rod with a lews speed spool 

:fishing: