Sign in to follow this  
BooyahMan

Mend It Drying Up?

Hey guys,

I received a brand new bottle of Mend It this past Christmas. Opened it the other day to find it was not liquid at all but was starting to dry up already. I kept it in a tackle box in a cool closet inside the plastic bag that it was shipped in but it still started to harden? It's impossible to get anything out with the brush applicator and the stuff that I did manage to scrape out didn't work very well. Is there any way to revive it or is it basically toast?

Cheers!

Just don't buy anymore! Just use super glue!

You need to use Mek solvent to thin it back up. The Mek solvent that was in it dries up after awhile.

8 minutes ago, jm529 said:

You need to use Mek solvent to thin it back up. The Mek solvent that was in it dries up after awhile.

Never thought about that.....have a couple that I may have to bring back from the dead.  

Mend it is a great product in a POS container.

• Like 1

I had some Mend-it that was in the plastic bottles will have the solvent evaporate through the plastic.

My last two purchases have been in glass bottles and they have not done that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

I had some Mend-it that was in the plastic bottles will have the solvent evaporate through the plastic.

My last two purchases have been in glass bottles and they have not done that.

Ok then, Mend it is a great product when not stored in a POS container that allows it to dry, so before purchasing be sure to ask in what it´s being stored.

6 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

20160510_132849_zpspchz6uae.jpg

X2

Have two "working" bottles - been open (and then securely closed) for two years.

A-Jay

I'll have to try the glass container. The one time I bought mend it, it dried in the plastic container before I ever used it

9 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

X2

Have two "working" bottles - been open (and then securely closed) for two years.

A-Jay

Mine are at least that old.

I had some in the plastic bottles that I never opened and kept in the house and they were a brick in just a few months.

• Like 1

I've only ever had the glass bottles?  Mine got to be a couple years old, or more.

Just now, Wayne P. said:

Mine are at least that old.

I had some in the plastic bottles that I never opened and kept in the house and they were a brick in just a few months.

It's The Best Plastic Mending Product I've used.

Never used the plastic Bottle.

A-Jay

Does anyone else store their Mend-It upside down like Powerbait dough jars to keep it from drying out as fast? (At least that's what I assume is the reason why they store Powerbait upside down.)

No, some is on a shelf upright, another laying sideways in a box for the boat, another gets bounced around at all angles in a chest pack, and then there's the one in kayak crate tackle box, which gets moved all over the place.

In other words, all angles.But I sort of see your point.  I still put the Horseradish in the fridge upside down, lol.

• Like 1

Mine usually doesn't dry out till the bottle is at least half empty, but I go through a lot of it and a lot of baits. I will try the MEK solvent to keep it young when it gets too firm.