Poor Man's boat - best choice?

Hello all -

This is my first post here.  Getting back into bass fishing after a few years hiatus.

Anyway,  I used to have an aluminum jon boat that I had rigged up real well, but unfortunately I sold it.  I can't afford a "real" boat right now, so it looks like my options would be float-tube, wading, or perhaps an inflatable.

These seem like somewhat lousy choices to me since I really like to stand and have good footing when I cast (like everyone else), and of course your access to parts of a lake are limited (except perhaps with the inflatable).

What would you folks recommend?  I live in CT, so our lakes are smaller than down south but we do have large "ponds"....(I do plan on heading south when I retire but that's another story)!

Thx in advance for your suggestions!

I fish a small lake within walking distance of home.  I use a 9 1/2 foot kayak, rigged it for three poles.  I carry 1  Plano box for lures, hooks, weights, and a ziplock bag of plastics.  The ziplock, when inflated doubles as a footrest.  I am looking for a  portable finder.The kayak is fun.  But at my age getting in and out and sitting "in there" for 6 hrs is getting tough.  My neighbor has an 8' basshunter with a trolling motor and a rigged cart to get it to the lake.  The chairs sit up and comfortable.  Pole and cup holders etc...a cool stable ride! 8)

I have fished from a Scamper II for years.  Mine has a shallow draft and is only 7'6" long, and if I bought a newer one I'd go for 8'6" or 9ft. and a little taller draft.  I have to agree you have to get used to casting from the same side and if you stand up, be careful not to sway front and back, or the boat will slip out from under you.  I recently bought a 12 ft. jonboat so my wife and daughter could go with me at the same time.  Nobody can have enough boats!!  ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im actually lookin for something to. My friend got a nice  12 ft boat with a trailer for a 100 bucks!

It need to be painted and fixed a little but you cant beat that price. Your best bet is probaly to just keep lurking ebay til som1 puts one up there in your area.

I use an 11 ft. kayak on a few small lakes I fish.  If you can't afford a motor I think a kayak is a good choice because it moves much faster than a boat with a trolling motor or a canoe.   I've gotten my kayak equipped with an anchor, gps, and depthfinder.

I BOUGHT A LIL PONTOON CALLED A WATER SKEETER. BASS PRO HAS THEM FOR ABOUT 350 BUCKS. I DID SOME MODDING TO IT AND NOW WHERE THE SEAT IS , NOW A DECK FOR STANDING. GOT A FISH FINDER AND A TROLLING MOTOR ON IT. HAD TO PUT SIDE RAILS UP TOO CAUSE OF OTHER BOATS WAKES. FIRST TIME I TOOK IT OUT WITHOUT RAILS I WENT OVERBOARD.  :)