WeekendAngler

New to Bass fishing

Hi everyone.  My name is Alejandro and this is my first of many posts to your site.  I'm 25 years old and live in Lakeland, FL.  I've been fishing of and on my entire life but never got serious with it till recently.  I'm getting married to a beautiful young lady in February 2017 in Mexico.  It'll be an amazing trip if everything plays out perfectly.  My fiance and her folks just bought a pretty amazing lake front house in Winter Haven and I've been doing my best to grab a few fish out of that water but the bites been tough for me, but I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching.  I really enjoy being out on the water, both salt and freshwater.  I recently bought an Abu Garcia baitcaster combo from Dicks and have been enjoying learning how to fish/cast with it.  I put on some 30lb braided line and mostly been fishing with soft plastics (senko works, zoom flukes, etc.) and I recently bought a spinner bait (a small 1/4oz white and a 1/4oz white/chartreus) to help me with the submerged grass thats around the dock on the lake I'm fishing.

But like I said its been tough for me and for the last month or so I've actually been on the water fishing from the shore or off the dock I've only been able to grab 2 small bass, both maybe weighing 1-1.5lbs each.  I'm looking for any good input from you guys.  I love watching any fishing videos and learning new techniques but if you guys can point me in the right direction with what I should try out or maybe some different lures I may need to invest in, I'm all ears for it.  I'll be looking to grab some popping frogs or just any frog lure in general, so if you guys got any colors in mind I should look for I'll look and see if I can't make it happen.

I do have one question for whoever happens across this post, what is your opinion on attaching fluro-carbon line to my existing green braid? Is it worth the hassle or should I just save what I have and keep working techniques?  I'll hopefully have a kayak soon so maybe I'll have updates about that on a later time.  Anyway, thanks for the help guys.  Cheer!

Welcome aboard, Alejandro!

Alejandro - Welcome to Bass Resource.  Enjoy the forums. Many fisherman/women use fluorocarbon leaders.  Find a good connecting knot (uni knot), and learn how to tie it. Good luck with the kayak adventure.  I've had some great times in my Hobie Revo 13.

Hello Alejandro and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

A rig like this can definitely help you with the submerged grass that's around the dock on the lake you're fishing.

A-Jay

Swimjig rig 2.jpg

Swimjig rig.jpg

Welcome Home! A lot of folks use fluro leaders attached to braid.  I'm certain they can help you with any questions you have.

Welcome!

I would suggest posting your question on braid to fluoro, or searching past post to see if you can find the answer to your questions there. I don't think as many check the introductions forum to give advice as they do there.

Your question could be posted, or answer may be found, here.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/forum/12-fishing-rods-reels-line-and-knots/

Welcome to the forums!

Jeff

Hello and Welcome! 

Mike 

Welcome! :)