Sign in to follow this  
JonahMiao

Backing on Braid?

Hey guys,

Going on a fishing trip in Tennessee tomorrow, and I decided to spool my baitcaster with braid. Usually I use braid on my spinning reels, but this time I decided to use it on my baitcaster. Anyways I totally forgot to put backing on my baitcaster before spooling the braid. I spooled the braid almost filling the spool. Will there be a problem or am I ok?

Thanks

The only problem would be with your wallet:D, but if you are fine with that than you should be fine. I've spooled 100% braid many times with no issues. Only recently started to use backing to extend how many respools I can get out of my braid. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

The only problem would be with your wallet:D, but if you are fine with that than you should be fine. I've spooled 100% braid many times with no issues. Only recently started to use backing to extend how many respools I can get out of my braid. 

Thank you very much ! :D

Any time I have spooled braid onto a reel with no backing, be it spinning or baitcasting, the line always slips on the spool. I'm not saying you will have a problem for sure, but thick mono backing is definitely a huge advantage. Some spinning reels come with rubber peices on the spool, just to prevent slipping. I haven't seen the same on baitcasting reels.

14 minutes ago, Jar11591 said:

Any time I have spooled braid onto a reel with no backing, be it spinning or baitcasting, the line always slips on the spool. I'm not saying you will have a problem for sure, but thick mono backing is definitely a huge advantage. Some spinning reels come with rubber peices on the spool, just to prevent slipping. I haven't seen the same on baitcasting reels.

Some baitcasters have holes in the spool, on those you can run the line through the holes and tie a knot before you spool so it can't slip. Or you can tape the line down at the bottom of the spool.

But I usually just use backing because it's easy and way cheaper like you said!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jar11591 said:

This is an issue, but if you still choose to go straight braid you can use some electrical tape after a few handle turns so it doesn't slip and has something to dig into a little. 

• Like 1

For a full spool of braid make sure you get the line on VERY tight, yeah tighter than that.;)

Actually if you dont use leaders a full spool of braid works out, over time, to use less line.

I'm a cheap skate. I always use backing to reduce replacement cost and to keep the line from slipping on the spool. I do use a quality monofilament backing however and I use the Alberto knot to join the two. That way I'm assured that if I tie into a get a monster, I won't get spooled. ;) t

• Like 2

What do you guys who use backing usually use for mono? All I've used so far is random stuff I have lying around. Does anyone consistently use one thing?

I use cheap mono I have laying around.

I normally use backing on all my reels. Yes, all
are braided mainline. But when I got a steal of a
deal on a 1500 yard spool of PP Super Slick 8
in 15# test, I chose to spool two of my spinning
reels 100% braid.

Too thin for my casting reels, so in order to get 
more braid for my money, I'll continue using 
backing unless money is no object. :) 

19 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

What do you guys who use backing usually use for mono? All I've used so far is random stuff I have lying around. Does anyone consistently use one thing?

You will be fine.

I used the holes on my reel, and electrical tape after there was six turns of the handle of braid on the reel. I use it primarily to catch 15 to 25 lb king salmon with no issues. You should be fine with a bass.

Since braid lasts so long and is so expensive, remember to reverse the line when you think it's getting a little old.  You'll have a brand new braid line to work with.