Spooled a quantum smoke 151 with thirty pound suffix 832, used a 30 yard bps mono backing. I tried to keep the line fairly tight while spooling. When fishing a frog the line tightened and I can't get to the spot. How do I remove this, thanks

Cut it out, that may be the only way. Also I would use braid for the whole spool, instead of mono backing YMMV

Sounds like a backlash.  Yes?  No?  Something else?

If so, I disagree with all of above post.  Don't cut it out yet....and DO continue to use backing, if you choose.

If it isn't a backlash, you may need to explain a bit more what you've got there

If it's a backlash, tighten your drag all the way down. Hold your thumb on the spool and reel the line forward. Then disengage and try to pull out the knot. If it fails, repeat. If you still cannot get it out, cut it out.

And I agree with using backing. I do it and can see no downside.

• Like 1

kind of sounds like a severe "dig in" where you got a little too tight with it.  did you get hung or snagged and pulled on it really tight or something like that?  

YOL, fortunately, that's a pretty easy fix (and all too common problem.)  ANY time that you pull hard on a snag or fight in a fish with tight drag...make sure that you take a good look at your spool and/or pull off some line to reel it back in and get a nice even lay.  Also fortunately, while terribly annoying, it is hard to backlash when the line is smashed down and dug in :)

48 minutes ago, You_Only_Live_Once_Fishing said:

thanks for the info; however i am still unsure how to remove it. lol

5 hours ago, the reel ess said:

If it's a backlash, tighten your drag all the way down. Hold your thumb on the spool and reel the line forward. Then disengage and try to pull out the knot. If it fails, repeat. If you still cannot get it out, cut it out.

And I agree with using backing. I do it and can see no downside.

Try this, keep playing with it as described and it will come out.