Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

Do I need to fix these welds?

I noticed that the flat wood panel that is on the front of my Crestliner Fish Hawk where my trolling motor is mounted was moving up and down when I pushed the motor hard. I looked underneath and realized that 2 of the welds on one of the mounts was broken. It has a total of 4 mounts, 2 for each side. In the pic it looks fine, but the mounts are definitely broken off. It's been like this for 3 years and never had a problem but I was wondering if I should have it re-welded sooner than later.  (For some reason the photo is upside down and I can't fix it.)

What do you think?

Bow.jpgIMG_7244.JPG

I would definately address it pretty soon.  The remaining welds are being put under some additional stress with the other two gone. You've had two of four fail and it's ok, but if one more fails it might be a much bigger functionality issue. 

• Like 1

You might want to think about having it reenforced, it cracked for a reason!

• Like 3

Well look at it like this, fix it and have no issues, or not get it fixed and quite possibly watch you trolling motor splash into the water in front of you no longer attached to the boat. I'd get it fixed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catt said:

This

1 hour ago, WIGuide said:

Well look at it like this, fix it and have no issues, or not get it fixed and quite possibly watch you trolling motor splash into the water in front of you no longer attached to the boat. I'd get it fixed.

And this.

That was easy ~.png

A-Jay

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

This

And this.

That was easy ~.png

A-Jay

^^^ Agreed

I wouldn't have thought there was another answer. I like my trolling motor to stay where I bolted it down. 

• Like 1

The welds look cold and poor quality. You could drill 3 holes for self tapping SST #12 sheet metal screws in each bracket that thread into the square aluminum frame or have all 4 brackets re welded.

Tom

23 hours ago, Catt said:

This...  But any reputable place will gusset that out to keep it from happening again.  

Many vote is to fix it ASAP.  The longer that stays broken the more there will be to fix (and the more it will cost you) when you do bring it in.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Master Bait'r said:

This...  But any reputable place will gusset that out to keep it from happening again.  

Many vote is to fix it ASAP.  The longer that stays broken the more there will be to fix (and the more it will cost you) when you do bring it in.  

What do you mean by gusset it?

1 hour ago, tcbass said:

What do you mean by gusset it?

Basically it means adding corner bracing to account for the stresses that tore it apart to begin with. 

You are talking about welding either 5052, 6061 or 7075 aluminu alloy that is somewhere between .064  to .080 thick and that takes some skill to do it right. A gusset is a trianglur piece of aluminum to add support or use wider thicker angle piece. Whatever if you simply fix what you have you will be better off then continuing with broken brackets.

Good luck.

Tom