Sign in to follow this  
FrankN209

Fluro Discolored

I have relatively new Fluorocarbon on my reel. But after fishing some murky water yesterday, it's dull and brownish. Is it ruined in the sense of clarity? 

• Like 1

IMO, yes.  Fluoro stains very easily.  If I'm fishing muddy water, I won't waste the fluoro on it.

• Like 1

Is it just coated with sediment, or actually stained?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FrankN209 said:

I have relatively new Fluorocarbon on my reel. But after fishing some murky water yesterday, it's dull and brownish. Is it ruined in the sense of clarity? 

You are worrying too much about the clarity of your line, imagine, if it were such a big deal Cajun RED Cast would be screwed, same thing would apply to Ande which manufactures line in RED, SOLAR YELLOW, SOLAR GREEN which you can see yards away, every single manufacturer that makes FLUORESCENT line would be filing for bankruptcy if line color would make such a great difference. 

You line is not "ruined", you may not like how it looks but it´s fast from being damaged.

• Like 4

Ruined as in damaged, no.

Ruined as in the loss of one of the main properties of fluoro, yes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raul said:

You are worrying too much about the clarity of your line, imagine, if it were such a big deal Cajun RED Cast would be screwed, same thing would apply to Ande which manufactures line in RED, SOLAR YELLOW, SOLAR GREEN which you can see yards away, every single manufacturer that makes FLUORESCENT line would be filing for bankruptcy if line color would make such a great difference. 

You line is not "ruined", you may not like how it looks but it´s fast from being damaged.

5 hours ago, S Hovanec said:

Ruined as in damaged, no.

Ruined as in the loss of one of the main properties of fluoro, yes.

I think the above post, pretty much sums up the clarity issue:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDW96 said:

I think the above post, pretty much sums up the clarity issue:)

You're not using that fluorescent crap or stained line for that matter in water with 20'+ of visibility with any degree of success.  Been down that road with people in my boat.  They end up using my rods or tying on a fluoro leader.

Little off topic, but there are some that say you can fish straight braid in crystal clear water too.  I fished identical setups one day, side by side, one with braid and one with braid + leader.  Not a hit on the straight braid but caught fish all day on the leader.  It wasn't super clear that day though. You could only see bottom in 17'.

• Like 1

I think fishermen are more concerned with line visibility than the fish are. Just my opinion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, doyle8218 said:

I think fishermen are more concerned with line visibility than the fish are. Just my opinion.

I've always believed this myself also. It's not a big deal for me, just asking. Thanks for all the info from everyone. 

• Like 1

This happens to me often, get an old spool of line, run a bolt and couple nuts through it, use your cordless drill. Get all the old line off the reel onto the old spool. When you're putting the line back on, get a piece of paper towel and soak it in KVD line conditioner or the equivalent. While reeling it in just put your line in the paper towel and put a book or something on it for weight. The line will come in very clean. I actually do this to new line, you would be surprised how dirty new line really is.

• Like 1

Pull the line out of the reel for a distance, wet a cotton ball with KVD Rod and Reel Conditioner then pinch the cotton ball on the line while you retrieve it.  Works for me for Potomac grunge.  Clean as can be.

• Like 1