Pondboss16

White bumps on bass tail?!

A few of the bass and mostly bluegill in my pond have these little white bumps in their tails. Are they parasites? I've also heard its from stress fanning their beds. Any one else see this before?

image.jpeg

They're parasites. I'm not sure exactly what they are, but if you cut one out, it's like a little worm. 

A parasite called fish grubs or yellow grubs. If you fillet the fish you'll find them throughout the flesh. The fish is host to one of the stages of the life cycle of this parasite. Snails are also host during another stage of the life cycle. If you can get rid of the grass, the snails will die out and the worms will disappear. If you introduce shellcrackers, they'll also kill the snails and solve the problem. Grass carp may help as well.

My friend's pond had these last summer, but I haven't seen any this year. They don't hurt the fish and if you cook them thoroughly, they won't hurt you. But once you know they're there, it's hard to forget. 

yellowgrub_1_19604_7.jpg

yellowgrub_2.jpg

On June 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Jig-Man said:

Yes they are parasites.  This is very common for summer pond bass.  If you are eating the fish don't worry as they are 100% protein.

Do they effect the fish though?