Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a cheaper setup for ponds, that way I won't need to worry about geting scratches on my good rods and reels. Do you recommend the Abu Garcia Pro Max, and which rod under $90 is good rather than the number eight Blackout due to them being out of stock? Thanks.

Just get an abu garcia black max combo, cheap and is really good for the price. 

• Like 1

Grab a H2O Mettle reel and a Abu Garcia Vendetta and fish that combo hard until the cows come home (for the 10,000th time) The Mettle has a aluminum frame and centrifugal brakes, what more could you ask for at $59.99 or even $29.99 on sale! I'm sure some other members will join in and comment on this reel soon.

Very heavily recommend that combo, amazing quality for such a low cost. 

I wouldn't call a No. *** a junk rod.  I agree with a BlackMax reel.  I cannot stand the way a cheap $30 rod feels though.  

I'd get a mettle and a h2o express ethos.  That's my choice for my pond rod

• Like 2

Both Dicks and Gander Mountain have some really nice combos for a reasonable price.

Some of the biggest bass I've ever seen come out of farm ponds. I'd sure feel silly losing a giant because I was worried about getting my nice stuff dirty.

• Like 6

I agree with @Bluebasser86- if you have good equipment use it! It's made to be used.

But you're entitled to do whatever you like of course. Two of my friends have no. eight hellbent rods and they are fantastic, so I can imaging a blackout is even better.

The pro max isn't a bad reel for the money, and they can be found cheaper online. Fenwick makes a few different models of rods that are $90 or less. 

If you're concerned about using your good stuff, pick up a used Abu 4600C (~$40 on ebay) and get a Berkely Lightning rod. It's a sturdy combo that, with a little care, will probably outlast you.

Tom

• Like 1

I've fished more ponds than I can count with my BB1 Pros and my Stradic Ci4. The fish don't seem to realize that they don't live in the big city.  

• Like 1