Hez

"Hybrid" cranking rod - for all types of cranking?

Ok - so I searched the forums for this - because I know this type of question has probably been asked 100 different times, but I couldn't find anything related to what I'm looking for - and with the summertime here - and the need to go deeper is apparent - I decided to ask this question anyway.

Is there an all around cranking rod - that works for shallow and deep cranking applications?  I had 6'6" medium action rod that was my cranking rod, and I lost the setup due to an unfortunate incident on the water yesterday - rod, reel, lure and all. :( 

So in my quest to replace said equipment, it brought me to wonder about the "hybrid" rod.  

I am not that experienced in deep cranking - but am reading a MH 7'6" rod is about where I would want to start looking - that seems too heavy for a shallow cranking rod.  Is this true?  

Thanks for any input offered. 

Edited by hezeez@gmail.com
grammar check

Its not too heavy for shallow cranking. As long as the MH rod has a moderate enough action you well be ok. That rod may be a little long for use in close quarters and such, but more manageable than trying to deep crank with a noodle rod. 

• Like 1

Deep craning requires a dedicated rod if you fish it a lot. However, most guys don't and what ever you are currently using for jigs will be fine. I think you would be better served getting a 6 /2'  Medium Power/ Moderate Action rod that can be used for most treble hook lures: shallow to medium depth crankbaits, topwater and jerkbaits.

:fishing-026: 

• Like 1

MH etc are subjective terms. The rods versatility depends on the weights you want to cast and the Rod itself. Personally I prefer very different rods for the shallowest and deepest baits. For versatility a 7' moderate glass Rod with a lure range of 1/4-3/4 is what I'd look for. 

• Like 1

I agree with most people here. Those two techniques need very different rods. I am not sure what the rig was that you lost and you never suggested what your budget for your next combo might be.  So I will suggest a couple of rods to look at Dobyns makes a Fury series FR 705CB, They list it as good for crankbaits, spinnerbait,lippless cranks, jerkbaits and more. It specs a 7 ft Med Moderate fast 1/4 to 1oz. It is a nice stick and might be as close to one stick to do it all. It is the only crankbait rod they make. Also check out the Irod Genesis II IRG703CC the Gabes Rip Rap Special. Lastly look at Powell Max 3D 6104CB. All of these would be worth looking into. I personally fish some rods from all 3 manufacturers and love them.  With these ranging from $100 to $160 you may be able to do one good setup now and another later.

• Like 1

Good input guys - I appreciate it.  You guys basically confirmed exactly what I was thinking, that they were 2 total different ends of the spectrum and require different equipment.

5 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

... and what ever you are currently using for jigs will be fine. 

:fishing-026: 

Even if my jig setup has 50# braid?  Or are you referring to just the rod itself. 

41 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

My agree with most people here. Those two techniques need very different rods. I am not sure what the rig was that you lost and you never suggested what your budget for y our next combo might be.  So I will suggest a couple of rods to look at Dobyns makes a Fury series FR 705CB, They list it as good for crankbaits, spinnerbait,lippless cranks, jerkbaits and more. It specs a 7 ft Med Moderate fast 1/4 to 1oz. It is a nice stick and might be as close to one stick to do it all. It is the only crankbait rod they make. Also check out the Irod Genesis II IRG703CC the Gabes Rip Rap Special. Lastly look at Powell Max 3D 6104CB. All of these would be worth looking into. I personally fish some rods from all 3 manufacturers and love them.  With these ranging from $100 to $160 you may be able to do one good setup now and another later.

I appreciate these rod examples.  Sorry I forgot to give a price range.  The rod I lost was 6'6" medium moderate fast tip - had a good parabolic bend...I believe it was a cheap ($50) Daiwa.  

Will be looking at these rods in the meantime, thanks again.

Boy you can tell I was getting tired, my typing got sloppy. Sorry. Anyway the Dobyns rod would be about as close to a do it all as you will find. I was surprised, it was the only crankbait rod they make in any of their series.  The Powells are really nice and one of my 4 crankbait rods is an Irod 703cc, which I love. By the way, I never owned 4 crankbait rods before, but in the fall the stripers leave the main bay and enter the creeks where my aluminum bass boat can get them. I line 4 different rattle trap type baits on the deck and one topwater setup. They can lock onto a XCalibur one knocker pattern or a red eye shad pattern or they may only want rattle traps, and sometimes it makes no difference. Either way a 20 plus inch striper on a 7 foot medium mod bass rod is insanely fun. And they taste good too.

• Like 1

Dobyns makes several cranking rods in the champion lineup.  They are more expensive than the fury though. I like a shorter rod for shallow stuff because I do a lot of target casting to cover. Usually around 6'6"-7' max length. As for deep cranking I like a rod around 7'6" to get longer casts and better hooksets in deep water

• Like 1