Okay, I'm sure this has been addressed 1,000 times so let's make it 1,001. Flouro is best used for anything that sinks (crank baits, jerk baits, soft plastics etc.), mono is best used for anything that floats (top water) so what is braid best used for...is it for punching lily pads with frogs? Braid inherently floats but I've also heard that it can absorb water in which case it would sink a little. Braid has a higher tensile strength than flouro or mono but doesn't have the stretch correct? So what situations and more importantly lures is braid best used for?

So if you were using a top water like a Whopper Plopper or Pompadour or a swim bait like the Savage Gear 6" 3D Line Thru Slow-Sink Trout you'd use mono for those or would braid work too? I know you wouldn't want flouro because that would sink and tend to pull the lure down nose first which would compromise the baits intended actions.

My Braid uses ~ All presentation made with single or double hook offerings in, over & through heavy cover & / or matted vegetation. 

~ Long casts with top water treble hook baits

~ Ripping lipless baits through grass

~ Long, deep water drop shot offerings.

Most everything else is Mono.

A-Jay

• Like 1

Would it be the same with spinning gear as well as bait cast gear or would a different set of rules apply to each?

1 minute ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Would it be the same with spinning gear as well as bait cast gear or would a different set of rules apply to each?

Braid is on EVERY spinner I own ~

A-Jay

2 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Okay, I'm sure this has been addressed 1,000 times so let's make it 1,001. Flouro is best used for anything that sinks (crank baits, jerk baits, soft plastics etc.), mono is best used for anything that floats (top water) so what is braid best used for...is it for punching lily pads with frogs? Braid inherently floats but I've also heard that it can absorb water in which case it would sink a little. Braid has a higher tensile strength than flouro or mono but doesn't have the stretch correct? So what situations and more importantly lures is braid best used for?

Flouro is best used for anything that sinks (crank baits, jerk baits, soft plastics etc.)                                                                                            

No, I don't think so. For all treble hooks I prefer monofilament line. I prefer fluorocarbon as a mainline or leader for bottom contact single hooks, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits and Chatterbaits

Mono is best used for anything that floats (topwater).                           

Maybe, but I would include all treble hooks.

So what is braid best used for?

Punching  maybe, mainline on spinning tackle and for some baitcasting applications.

Braid has a higher tensile strength than flouro or mono but doesn't have the stretch correct?

No. Tensile strength relates to impact and braid is VERY susceptible to breaking while casting and occasionally on hookset.

26 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

No. Tensile strength relates to impact and braid is VERY susceptible to breaking while casting and occasionally on hookset.

Okay, so if this is true I'm assuming that you would use mono for the WP and the Savage Gear I mentioned above since they are heavy baits? The last thing I want to do is hear the dreaded "snap" of line on a cast and lose an expensive lure :).

I use a stronger line like 20# P-Line CXX for swimbaits > 1 oz.

• Like 1