jtipton91

Real prey swimbaits

Anyone using the real prey swimbaits? Specifically the 7" golden shiner? Curious about these baits. Also what sink rates do you like for certain depths? Color patterns?

• Like 1

I use the top hook medium sink rate the most. Golden Shiner is a good color but I catch more fish on the Carp color.

11 minutes ago, 1201vilbig said:

I use the top hook medium sink rate the most. Golden Shiner is a good color but I catch more fish on the Carp color.

Which would you pick as a better product, the golden shiner or a hudd 68?

great baits! great guy as well! they are more durable then hudds! dont  rip as easily! they have a medium sink rate and fast sink rate, top hook or bottom hook. the golden pond shiner and the perch style baits are my favorite ones! 

2 minutes ago, swamp hawgs said:

great baits! great guy as well! they are more durable then hudds! dont  rip as easily! they have a medium sink rate and fast sink rate, top hook or bottom hook. the golden pond shiner and the perch style baits are my favorite ones! 

What is the equivalent to a hudd rate of fall 12? I'm thinking the medium sink rate?

5 hours ago, jtipton91 said:

Which would you pick as a better product, the golden shiner or a hudd 68?

The only Hudd bait I have caught fish on is the 68 Special. It is a fantastic swimbait. But as said above, it is not very durable. Mend-it is a must. That being said, I have just about switched all of my soft bait purchases to Smash-Tech. Just awesome baits & great prices. The Shiner is becoming my favorite.

http://smashtechbaits.com/products/shiner

12 minutes ago, 1201vilbig said:

The only Hudd bait I have caught fish on is the 68 Special. It is a fantastic swimbait. But as said above, it is not very durable. Mend-it is a must. That being said, I have just about switched all of my soft bait purchases to Smash-Tech. Just awesome baits & great prices. The Shiner is becoming my favorite.

http://smashtechbaits.com/products/shiner

Those look cool! Nice price too. How quickly do they sink? Can they be rigged top hook?

1 minute ago, jtipton91 said:

Those look cool! Nice price too. How quickly do they sink? Can they be rigged top hook?

Slow sink if you use a weightless swimbait hook. Of course you could adjust that with the hook weight. I throw this bait where I probably shouldn't, so it's weedless for me. But I see no reason why a top hook swimbait jig head wouldn't work. 

I work with Joe on the Real Prey website and fish his baits more than any bait I own. All of his products are handmade, hand painted and of the best quality of any swimbait company out there. More durable than any soft plastic. Every bait Joe makes is well thought out as far as forage and species goes. The tails give one of the best thumps I've seen even at slow speeds. The Golden Shiner in both the 7" and larger size have caught numerous PB's here in New England. Joe is an outstanding guy to boot.

As far as the sink rates go, I can't say exactly that this is true, but I would say the fast sink would be closer to a Hudd ROF12-16. You can call Joe directly and he will gladly answer your questions and provide more help than you could imagine. One of the most intelligent big bait guys out there.

• Like 1

I work with Joe on the Real Prey website and fish his baits more than any bait I own. All of his products are handmade, hand painted and of the best quality of any swimbait company out there. More durable than any soft plastic. Every bait Joe makes is well thought out as far as forage and species goes. The tails give one of the best thumps I've seen even at slow speeds. The Golden Shiner in both the 7" and larger size have caught numerous PB's here in New England. Joe is an outstanding guy to boot.

As far as the sink rates go, I can't say exactly that this is true, but I would say the fast sink would be closer to a Hudd ROF12-16. You can call Joe directly and he will gladly answer your questions and provide more help than you could imagine. One of the most intelligent big bait guys out there.

I believe I'm sold on the real prey golden shiner 7". Any colors you prefer to others?

Both work great. The Dark Shiner is great one, but the light shiner looks great, too.

Both work great. The Dark Shiner is great one, but the light shiner looks great, too.

Your going to buy one to fish 10-15ft deep give or take a few. Which sink rate do you buy

Fast Sink will obviously get you down there quick. Medium Sink is going to get you down there not as quick. Both options work well. Depends on how you want to fish it. Top hook is always good, but if you want to BB rig it with a treble on top, go with the bottom hook option.

They are great swimming baits. My only gripe is the silicone repair process. I REALLY wish super glue worked on this type of bait, especially to hold treble hooks in place.

They are great swimming baits. My only gripe is the silicone repair process. I REALLY wish super glue worked on this type of bait, especially to hold treble hooks in place.

Which do you like? Medium or fast sink?

I mostly opt for slower sinking baits. It's always easier to make something sink faster.

22 hours ago, SPEEDBEAD. said:

Not familiar with this swimbait so can't offer a glue that would work. Melting a small recess into the plastic using a small soldering iron and inserting a small magnet into the hot plastic should work.

Tom

I got a 5" perch and a 7" golden shiner from them earlier this year. First impression was they felt reaaallllyy tough compared to other plastic baits, which had me a little worried about action at slower speeds. But let me tell you, the tail kicks at any speed, I tried to get it to stop, I couldn't. I was very impressed by that, and the colors are awesome too. Definitely my favorite swimbait that I have, top notch quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

I got a 5" perch and a 7" golden shiner from them earlier this year. First impression was they felt reaaallllyy tough compared to other plastic baits, which had me a little worried about action at slower speeds. But let me tell you, the tail kicks at any speed, I tried to get it to stop, I couldn't. I was very impressed by that, and the colors are awesome too. Definitely my favorite swimbait that I have, top notch quality. 

What sink rate you get?

I got the fast sink ones and like them, I wanted them mainly to fish slow and deep (like fishing the edges of weedbanks before they drop off around 12-15 feet of water) But they don't sink so fast I can't still fish them over weeds in 5 or 6 feet of water. I'd say if you are mainly wanting to fish them shallow I would go for a slower sink model. 

25 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

I got the fast sink ones and like them, I wanted them mainly to fish slow and deep (like fishing the edges of weedbanks before they drop off around 12-15 feet of water) But they don't sink so fast I can't still fish them over weeds in 5 or 6 feet of water. I'd say if you are mainly wanting to fish them shallow I would go for a slower sink model. 

I want to fish them in 10 to 15 ft so you answered my question perfectly! Now I finally know which sink rate to get. Thanks

Ordered my real prey 7" golden shiner in dark shiner couple days ago. Medium sink. If I get it in and decide I'd like it to sink a bit faster, where would you guys recommend inserting the nail weights?