Jump to content
curtis9

Bas master Classic Bracket

Recommended Posts

I was just reading the blog from the bassmaster classic bracket tournament today and saw Jacob Powroznik decided not to fish today and spent his round coaching his opponent Koby Kreiger who is his traveling roommate to try to help him so he could qualify for the classic.  I appreciate his loyalty to his buddy, but I don't agree with his actions in this tournament.

Bass tried to do something unique with this format and only included 8 guys.  It's a shame one guy decided not to participate to try to help out a friend. 

What do y'all think about it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. This was set up so every angler would have a chance to win big money plus have a chance to qualify for the BASS Classic. This gives an advantage to one angler not because he is better but because his friend is helping him. Just doesn't seem fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it kinda turned it into a pretty lame event.  What JPow did was a nice gesture but not a great thing for the Elites.  It really makes you wonder how often pals on tour help each other out.  I fished an Open as a co-angler a few years back and witnessed Ish (who won the event) tell Ike what to throw and where to throw it (he finished 5th or 6th).  No way to stop that stuff but it definitely tarnishes it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read about that and I don't agree with it. But if doing that doesn't break any rules, more power to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RichF said:

.  It really makes you wonder how often pals on tour help each other out.  I fished an Open as a co-angler a few years back and witnessed Ish (who won the event) tell Ike what to throw and where to throw it (he finished 5th or 6th).  

Ish May have been returning the favor.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I think the event itself is dumb. 

J-Proz will make the Classic easily, I have no problem with him trying to help his buddy make it.   The Classic pays a big chunk of money to everyone in the field.  Some of these guys desperately need that money.  Winning this goofy event wouldn't mean nearly as much for JP as a Classic qualification would mean for Koby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got in (today action is done) Looks like KK & KVD BOTH had 11 lbs. but the bracket results have KVD moving on.

How did B.A.S.S. settle the tie-Breaker ?

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

I just got in (today action is done) Looks like KK & KVD BOTH had 11 lbs. but the bracket results have KVD moving on.

How did B.A.S.S. settle the tie-Breaker ?

A-Jay

 

The tie breaker was the heaviest 1 day bag from the previous round.  KVD had 10-4 to Kreiger's 8-14.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jrob78 said:

The tie breaker was the heaviest 1 day bag from the previous round.  KVD had 10-4 to Kreiger's 8-14.

Thank You ~

That seems a little weird.  Rather than using a factor from the day before, why not use the heaviest fish from that days competition ?

Yesterday's deal is over & done with & has nothing to do with what happened today: unless you're just trying to put the fan favorite thru . . .

I like KVD and have always been a Huge fan; even use quite a bit of his signature gear but that tie-breaker is a head scratcher for me.

:headscratch:

A-Jay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

That seems a little weird.  Rather than using a factor from the day before, why not use the heaviest fish from that days competition ?

It's not specifically the day 1 weight...Its the heaviest weight from any single day of competition.  Both KVD's and Krieger's heaviest weights were today's 11-0...So it went to the next heaviest, which was KVD's day 1.  It was actually the second tiebreaker since they were still tied after the first.  3rd tiebreaker was heaviest single fish.  

On another note...

Final day is now no-limit, MLF style...Which hurts Hite IMO since he has been on the best quality fish of anyone, but hasn't been getting a ton of bites.  I've enjoyed it so far despite the wierdness, but don't like last minute rule changes :mellow:.  I actually really liked the idea of immediate release while still having a 5 fish limit.  KVD vs Hite was the final matchup I was hoping for, pulling for Hite slightly.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Logan S said:

It's not specifically the day 1 weight...Its the heaviest weight from any single day of competition.  Both KVD's and Krieger's heaviest weights were today's 11-0...So it went to the next heaviest, which was KVD's day 1.  It was actually the second tiebreaker since they were still tied after the first.  3rd tiebreaker was heaviest single fish.  

On another note...

Final day is now no-limit, MLF style...Which hurts Hite IMO since he has been on the best quality fish of anyone, but hasn't been getting a ton of bites.  I've enjoyed it so far despite the wierdness, but don't like last minute rule changes :mellow:.  I actually really liked the idea of immediate release while still having a 5 fish limit.

Thank you for the supplemental info - I appreciate it.  Makes sense.  

I was also surprised with the MLF final day format. 

KVD will be fishing at warp-speed for six hours.  Just like he like it.

Looking forward to this one.

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I hate the last minute rule change.  It's just promoting a dinkfest like MLF.  Nothing exciting about watching 12 inchers being caught on a drop shot.  I'll still watch though haha.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Thank You ~

That seems a little weird.  Rather than using a factor from the day before, why not use the heaviest fish from that days competition ?

Yesterday's deal is over & done with & has nothing to do with what happened today: unless you're just trying to put the fan favorite thru . . .

I like KVD and have always been a Huge fan; even use quite a bit of his signature gear but that tie-breaker is a head scratcher for me.

:headscratch:

A-Jay

You got me to wondering so I found the official rules for the Elite Series.  It looks like they always use the largest bag from the previous days of competition to break ties.  I'm sure they had some kind of official rules in place before this competition began, as to not play favorites.

 

C21. TIES: In case of a tie for first place weight at the end of the tournament, there will be a fish-off between the tied competitors under the direction and special rules established by tournament officials. Ties for standard cuts and places below first at the end of the tournament will be resolved in the following order: (1) individual with heaviest single day catch during competition; (2) if the tie is not broken, the next tiebreaker will be the individual with the second heaviest single day catch during competition; (3) if the tie is not broken, the next tiebreaker will be the individual with the largest number of legal fish weighed during competition; (4) if the tie is not broken, the next tiebreaker will be the individual with the largest number of legal live fish weighed during competition. If the tie is not broken by applying the foregoing procedures, the tie will remain a tie. When ties for cut position are not broken by the foregoing procedures, competitors still tied will compete for the next cut. Additional places will not be awarded. Monetary prizes for each competitor will be awarded in equal amounts. Angler of the Year points will be awarded for the place of the tied position and each competitor will be awarded equal points. In B.A.S.S. Elite events where weights are zeroed, ties for cuts going into the final round shall be broken by Angler of the Year standings following most recent concluded Elite Series event. A tie for first at the end of the AOY Championship shall be broken by the above procedures and not result in a fish-off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Logan S said:

It's not specifically the day 1 weight...Its the heaviest weight from any single day of competition.  Both KVD's and Krieger's heaviest weights were today's 11-0...So it went to the next heaviest, which was KVD's day 1.  It was actually the second tiebreaker since they were still tied after the first.  3rd tiebreaker was heaviest single fish.  

On another note...

Final day is now no-limit, MLF style...Which hurts Hite IMO since he has been on the best quality fish of anyone, but hasn't been getting a ton of bites.  I've enjoyed it so far despite the wierdness, but don't like last minute rule changes :mellow:.  I actually really liked the idea of immediate release while still having a 5 fish limit.  KVD vs Hite was the final matchup I was hoping for, pulling for Hite slightly.  

Zona and Sanders were cracking up the whole time about how strange everything was

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you think of J Pow's decision aside, I have been watching this event as much as I can get away with it at work, and it has been a fantastic live event. To me, it has underscored my theory that the live-scoring system would be so much more intriguing if they used the 5 best fish system (I watch MLF, and I like it, but the "every scorable bass counts" thing just doesn't do it for me). To me, BASS really blew it today by changing the rules to allow every legal fish to count. They definitely hosed Hite who has been on better quality fish the entire week. The sad thing is, Hite's had time in previous rounds to try and develop a different pattern for this kind of scoring system, but apparently he didn't know it was necessary. Why would he? This is the Elite Series.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get to watch it live as I was on the water myself.  So KVD did what I think many expected him to do - especially since they changed the format for the last day to include all score able bass.  But there seems to be some controversy and a Protest ?

 KVD took a fish from outside the boundary line & it was  DQ'ed.  Tripp Weldon was in the Boat with him - I guess that's a good thing.

Whole thing's a little wacky and probably didn't go the way the organizers were hoping.

 Both B Hite & KVD are making the Classic anyway -

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, this change in format shows the popularity of MLF style fishing. BASS has to feel pressure to compete with this new style of tournament fishing show. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×