Hi new to forum have a rod question

Hi everyone happy to be a member. I have a 6'6 Quantum Pt Tour Heavy action, what would be good baits for this rod. Its kinda short for a Pitching stick, thanks in Advanced for the info

Heavy spinnerbaits in the 1/2 to 1oz range, which are my go-to search lure.

If you've never tried a 3/4oz, double-willow spinnerbait, you're missing out!

This would be a good jig and pig, worm rod. Id prefer a longer rod for frogs, and heavy spinnerbaits,...but then thats my prefference

IMO, a heavy action short rod is not ideal to throw anything light as you will find difficulty getting the rod to load properly. Try to stick to heavier baits or use it for flipping into heavy cover.  Welcome to the forums!

• Super User
12 hours ago, Gabriele Schieda said:

Its kinda short for a Pitching stick,

I never understood the notion of a "proper" length for pitching.  I can pitch cast with any rod - including a spinning rod.  As mentioned above, it's a great length for pitching in tight quarters around docks or lay downs.

• Like 4

• Super User

Don't have any experience with the specific rod you have, however do have about 4 decades of experience using 6'6" heavy fast action jig & worm rods. You can cast worms with 3/16 oz to 1/2 oz bullet weight with ease after time practicing, just slow down the back arm motion. I use heavy fast action rods to cast jigs 3/8 to 1 oz over 40 yards so you wouldn't be handicapped with a 6'6" rod.

My custom worm & jig rods are 6'10" 5 & 6 power equal to most of today's heavy fast action rods.

Welcome to BR and go out and fish!

Tom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, J Francho said:

I never understood the notion of a "proper" length for pitching.  I can pitch cast with any rod - including a spinning rod.  As mentioned above, it's a great length for pitching in tight quarters around docks or lay downs.

Been pitching with pistol grip baitcaster and spinning rods for many years ?.  

Just as J Franko states, there is no stated lenghth required.

• Super User

All of the usual jigs and swim jigs if they are at least 3/8 because by the time you add a trailer you should be fine. Also you can carolina rig any trailer you want. That also means any 3/8 or heavier texas rig.