detroithiker

Do you frog slow or fast

I am trying to catch my first fish on a hollow body frog, everything I have read so far suggests to fish em slow, I have checked out many forums and that is what has been posted in the threads I have read so far.

Do you prefer to fish a TW frog slow with long pauses or fast with a twitch?

Every time I watch MLF those guys are moving the frog so fast, with just a twitch motion rather than a true pause.

What gives, can anyone enlighten me here? I really want to get a fist frog catch.

Try every way you can think of and let the fish tell you how they want it.

• Like 5

Both! Vary your retrieve until you get bit, then stick with that retrieve.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's a painfully slow walk with long pauses, other times you can't fish it too fast. There's no way of knowing without trying both unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Let the fish be your guide. Start slow if you want, and if nothing is happening after a while, pick up the cadence. If you still haven't been looked at after a while, you have a decision to make. Stick with the frog, or switch baits. 

Adam Sandler put it best... I frog at a medium pace!

But in all seriousness, I fish them pretty quick until I rule it out.  Then I slow down to a crawl.

I start out fast, and slow down until I deem it less viable than what other techniques might produce elsewhere in the lake. Sometimes they want it paused for long periods of time in pockets and intermediately twitched, other times they want it walked very fast.

9 hours ago, BassinLou said:

Let the fish be your guide. Start slow if you want, and if nothing is happening after a while, pick up the cadence. If you still haven't been looked at after a while, you have a decision to make. Stick with the frog, or switch baits. 

This^

I mainly twitch it through the pads at a fast enough rate to cause a disturbance. Sometimes I find going too slow will make no movement at all in the pads, and don't see to have much luck that way. 

I usually move them with jerks until I find an opening. Then I'll let it sit still in the opening. If no bite, I'll walk it a few times and let it sit a little longer before moving across the mat again. If I'm retrieving away from the bank, I'll pause at the edge of the pads and give them a really good look and walk it slowly away from there. If you can walk the frog, you can give it a lot of twitches without moving it far. The edge of the pads is where I get most of my bites. I don't fish anywhere on a regular basis that is just one thick mat of vegetation. It's usually pads and/or logs.

If a fast retrieve is what you want, I'd try a toad.

On 8/7/2016 at 7:49 AM, BassinLou said:

Most important word in the whole discussion!

Cadence: a regular beat or rhythm

Part of figuring out a pattern is retrieval cadence. 

When ya catch one duplicate the exact retrieval cadence on the next cast.

You'll be amazed at the effectiveness of this pattern!

Lately for me it's been a faster retrieve, but you have to try both and see what gets you bit.