Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've finally got enough $ to get a real bait caster. Gonna get a BP qualifier. Any suggestions? I've only got like 40$ to play with. Is that enough or should I just ride it out and wait till I've got a little more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when you hit the $100-120 mark, it seems to be a sweet spot currently for exceptional value in rods. With that in mind, I'd save up a little bit more. Opens up a lot of options. Most of my rods are in the $100-150 range but I always look for sales and used rods and have made some really good purchases  

If you are looking at getting a Pro Qualifier and can hold off, Bass Pro always has a PQ and Carbonlite combo special at the spring fishing classic. They are priced exceptionally well. Lot of Black Friday sales coming up soon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Onvacation said:

I think when you hit the $100-120 mark, it seems to be a sweet spot currently for exceptional value in rods. With that in mind, I'd save up a little bit more. Opens up a lot of options. Most of my rods are in the $100-150 range but I always look for sales and used rods and have made some really good purchases  

If you are looking at getting a Pro Qualifier and can hold off, Bass Pro always has a PQ and Carbonlite combo special at the spring fishing classic. They are priced exceptionally well. Lot of Black Friday sales coming up soon.  

I could probably hold off, but I'm afraid if I do my ol lady will get ahold of the cash I have saved up for it and spend it. Being so new to fishing I don't think I need a rod that's that expensive. This is actually gonna be my first reel that's over 30$.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you already have another combo you can use while you save up and you know you are into fishing for the long run, id take Onvacation's advice. just fish the hell out of your current set up until you have a little more saved up.

if you buy a cheaper combo and then upgrade a few months down the road, you will end up spending a lot more at the end. a nice reel will be a lot easier to cast as well, i recommend spending more on the reel for less expensive combos.

if you dont plan on upgrading for a few years, go for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd save up just a little more and try to find a quality used reel for around 50-60. Reels like the pro qualifier, citica d, daiwa exceller, abu orra, quantum accurists and energys, lews speed spools, and a bunch of others cost 100 retail or more and are going to be a lot better reel than one you can buy new for 40 bucks. The only reel I've tried that cheap was one given to me as a gift. It was a Shakespeare that was like 39.99 new but it had horrible magnetic brakes that were either all on or all off and the whole reel felt like a kids toy. Buying used will allow you to buy a much better reel that will last much linger. It will have a better cast control system to help you learn without back lashing so much and be made of much better materials. I'd look for something with an aluminum frame if possible beacause it will last longer, unless I got a really good deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, timsford said:

I'd save up just a little more and try to find a quality used reel for around 50-60. Reels like the pro qualifier, citica d, daiwa exceller, abu orra, quantum accurists and energys, lews speed spools, and a bunch of others cost 100 retail or more and are going to be a lot better reel than one you can buy new for 40 bucks. The only reel I've tried that cheap was one given to me as a gift. It was a Shakespeare that was like 39.99 new but it had horrible magnetic brakes that were either all on or all off and the whole reel felt like a kids toy. Buying used will allow you to buy a much better reel that will last much linger. It will have a better cast control system to help you learn without back lashing so much and be made of much better materials. I'd look for something with an aluminum frame if possible beacause it will last longer, unless I got a really good deal

I'm going to buy the pro qualifier reel I just need a decent rod to go with it. I can save up to buy a better one down the road, but id like to be able to use the new reel I'm getting as soon as I get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check the clearance section at your local Walmart sometimes you can get real good deals there.  I scored a quantum signature KVD for about $15 a few months ago it's 6'6 MH with micro guides and retails for $99 I probably would not give full retail for it but at $15 it's great.  Others have found falcons and Abu rods dirt cheap.  If you can't find a killer deal.  A Berkeley cherrewood HD or lightning shock will get the job done for you.  Ugly sticks are ok for the price as well but personally I would go with a cherywood over an ugly stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lecisnith said:

FFO tackle has Abu Garcia Vendetta on sale for about $40.  Retails for $80.  Some other good options as well.

FFO has a few casting rods under $40.   A Vendetta for $43, but you will need $9.60 for shipping on those rods.  There is a 7' MH Cherrywood for $15.88.  Lure rating is 1/4-1 oz.  Better to have a rod in hand than shoes in the wife's closet.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I misread the op's post and thought you were looking for reels under 40. I'd  just save a couple more bucks and get the Fenwick eagle casting rod on ffo-tackle.com (should be like 43 bucks with shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

x4 (or whatever) for FFO-tackle. With a limited budget, I would be seeking out a bargain or clearance price on something that is normally priced higher. FFO has that year round for abu, fenwick, pflueger, berkley, penn, mitchell et al., plus constantly rotating additional sale offers on most items. And sometimes they throw in a free gift of baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

FFO has a few casting rods under $40.   A Vendetta for $43, but you will need $9.60 for shipping on those rods.  There is a 7' MH Cherrywood for $15.88.  Lure rating is 1/4-1 oz.  Better to have a rod in hand than shoes in the wife's closet.  :D

Reminds me of something my dad used to tell me that he tried to attribute to Ben Franklin : "A rod in hand is worth two in the bush"

I was never sure what it meant until now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the Academy H2O Mettle, great reel for $59, I fish with several Metaniums, a couple of the new MGL and other high end Shimano reels. I have 3 of these Mettle's, they do go on sale often, I've caught them on sale for $9 on BF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onetime said:

Check out the Academy H2O Mettle, great reel for $59, I fish with several Metaniums, a couple of the new MGL and other high end Shimano reels. I have 3 of these Mettle's, they do go on sale often, I've caught them on sale for $9 on BF.

BF = ?  Black Friday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just wait. My theory is that you need a decent enough rod to present a bait and feel bites. That is the bare minimum. then you add weight, and look. 80-120$ My friend has a no *** and it is good. I also have had experiences with many rods at this price point. (message me if you have ?'s) then i add a 180 dollar reel or nicer. I would be willing to get less nice reels, but i spend lots of time looking for deals, so i can get the for 100$. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×