Sign in to follow this  
MainelyBASS

Trailer Tire Help. 215 vs 205

Have our club championship tournament this weekend and I blew a tire this morning on the way home from the lake. I need 2 new tires for my trailer and I can not get the same tires that are on the trailer now anywhere. I can save a little money if I order them online, but the shipping cost will even out what I would save, plus to have them on time, I would have to expedite shipping. I was told by 2 different tire stores that dont have my tire in stock that I could put on 205's instead of my 215's and it would be just fine. My boat only weighs maybe 2,000lbs with the engine, its a Tracker Avalanche. I wanted to get you guys opinion on this as I have more faith in my friends here, than a stranger at a tire store.

There will be a slight difference in width between those sizes. All I can say is as long as it is in the right load range you should be fine

• Like 1

if its a single axle, I would use 215's.

If tandem axle use 205's

• Like 1

Where do you live?

I just went from 215s to 205s this spring...the 205s are narrower (about 0.40") , but slightly taller.

My Goodyear 215/75R-14's were 26.7" diameter, the new 205 Kumho 857's are 27".  0.30" difference.  It your trailer is set up so that much difference gives you a problem...you've got other issues that need to be dealt with.

I highly recommend the Kumho 857s, but recognize you might not be a place to wait for them.  The odds of your guy having them in stock are pretty close to zero.  They are an 8 ply, D load range tire (2271 lbs @ 65 PSI on a single axle for each tire - I doubt your boat weighs anywhere near 4542 lbs.) with a higher speed rating (a Q Speed rating is 99 MPH and really is a way to judge how well the tire is made and balanced) than most trailer tires...all good stuff, and they have deeper tread than most as well.

• Like 2

I asked where you live so I could see if you had something like Trailer Parts Superstore like we have down here in Delaware. I do not see a boating/trailer supply store similar in Maine.  If you have not taken care of this by now and need a good option check out this link in Delaware and see what shipping would be.  http://www.easternmarine.com/   Another great option is to order the exact sixe from Tire rack. i checked and two tires can be shipped to your home address for about $33.  That means that 2 tires with shipping from them would be about $150.  Just a couple of options. If you did already get your tire situation settled good luck on the tournament.

In your situation I would would go with the 205's.....

Sears carries Marathon 215/14 trailer tires.

Tom