Sign in to follow this  
Rick Howard

Battery charging question

My trolling motor is 24v so I have the batteries wired in series.  My charger is a small 12v charger so in ordered to charge the batteries with the single charger I take the motor wires off, add another jumper, and wire it parralell.  I put one charger lead the on corresponding terminal on one battered and one lead on the corresponding terminal of the other battery so it will chare the entire circuit.

I would like to avoid having to re-wire every time I charge.  Can I wire in series with the trolling motor wired but also hook up each 12v charger to each battery and charge them?  If I keep the Chargers and everything wired then all I have to do is plug in the Chargers.  Ths would be much more convenient.  

I assume this is how a 2 bank charger is wired but before I go and fry things I wanted to get some opinions from folks who might know better.  

I suggest you save a little money and go to Bass Pro. Pick up this dual charger and permanently mount it in the boat. I have been running one for 6 years and it is great.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Intelligent-Technology-Series-Onboard-Marine-Battery-Charger-XPS-iT-10/10/product/10224686/

Yes that's how the 2 bank chargers are wired. If you do that you should be good to go. 

Putting in a 3 bank charger (2 batteries trolling motor, 1 starter) was the best thing I ever did to my boat. Being able to just plug in 1 plug and be done was great. It was also a trickle/maintenance charger, so I never had to unplug it.

• Like 1

Unless both 12v batteries are identicle (they rarely are after some use) charging 2 batteries with 1 single bank charger isn't a good idea. Charge 1battery at a time works OK but takes longer.

3 bank* auto shut off 10 top 15 amps per bank onboard charger is the right way to go.

Tom

*Noco Gen 3, very reliable charger.

Thank you fellas.  I don't have much season left and these batteries are pretty crappy.  I use them pretty hard for a few years and they were the cheapest Walmart batteries.  I'll just wait till spring and get new batteries and a two bank charger.