Sign in to follow this  
Robert Riley

Deep Diver Colors

Yo, 
So I was just reorganizing all my tackle today and a few questions popped up in my head. I've got about a dozen 10XDs, and only two of them are not in baitfish colors. I know colors tend to be a debatable topic, but do colors matter as much for deep diving cranks? I'd assume that in 20ft of water, the colors become rather muted due to the lack of light penetration.  

22 minutes ago, Robert Riley said:

Yo, 
So I was just reorganizing all my tackle today and a few questions popped up in my head. I've got about a dozen 10XDs, and only two of them are not in baitfish colors. I know colors tend to be a debatable topic, but do colors matter as much for deep diving cranks? I'd assume that in 20ft of water, the colors become rather muted due to the lack of light penetration.  

Lots of variables make this a difficult question to discuss.   If the water is very clear light can penetrate to that depth, the wave lengths that have the best chance are blue -475nm and Purple or Indigo - 445, UV light will also be able to penetrate to this depth.     The remaining colors will not be able reflect and will appear as a grayscale.       Take a picture and convert it to grayscale, may give you a better idea of what the bait will look like at that water depth.

• Like 1

Heres how  light waves disappear under water . Not from a humans eye , or a basses eye its just the way light works .So in most waters  greens and yellow light waves penetrate deepest . In gin clear water blues and purple penetrate deeper . Blue has long  been associated as a good color choice for clear water and chartreuse for murky . There  may be some science behind that . A white lure as Molay just mentioned in another thread  can only reflect the light that is reaching it .

light%202.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know what bass see, but when scuba diving in 20+ feet of water I could see colors just fine :) 

During the day, mostly clear skies, ~8ft visibility underwater. 

• Like 1

Just take a close look at the bait fish bass would be targeting at 20' depths where you fish. Determine if bait fish are pelagic or dermasel. Pelagic bait fish like the shad, herring and crappie are silver to light green with darker backs and may have a spots. Dermasel baitfish like bluegill, sunfish and perch are green with yellow-orange with dark green vertical bars. Baitfish like dermasel live in and around cover, the bars help to break up the silhouette. Open water pelagic baitfish with spots and silvery coloration helps to break up thier silhouette. 

Crawdad colors for deep diving crank baits in brownish red and dark red black work good.  

Crankbaits produce a lot of vibrations that bass react to.  Don't over think color hues, basic colors with contrasting backs and sides work good.

Tom

• Like 2

11 hours ago, j bab said:

I don't know what bass see, but when scuba diving in 20+ feet of water I could see colors just fine :) 

During the day, mostly clear skies, ~8ft visibility underwater. 

8 foot of visibility from above ?

47 minutes ago, scaleface said:

8 foot of visibility from above ?

I didn't check from above

Heres an interesting paragraph from a science web site .

Specific frequencies of light get absorbed by water at different depths. Water act like a selective filter. Red, which has the longest wavelength of the visible spectrum, gets absorbed first and can only penetrate around 5 meters before losing contrast. Blue light with a shorter wavelength can penetrate around 60 meters before the same effect occurs. This is due to the fact that water is much more dense than air. This means that the molecules are much closer together and the water molecules actually absorb the energy from the electromagnetic wave and convert that energy to heat. Blue light, having more energy, takes the longest to diminish and therefor travels the furthest underwater. Different depths of the ocean have specific temperatures due to this selective "solar heating". Interesting fact: infrared light (cannot see and comes before red in the spectrum) can barely penetrate 1mm of water.)

Red is a very popular color in cold muddy water because it catches fish . Bass move shallow in cold muddy water and red is not as effected as much as the other colors because of its longer wave lengths . Coincidence .?

• Like 1