Rick Howard

A-Rig help

i was talked into using this thing. I see the appeal and I like it.  I have thrown 2 versions... One small and one larger.I bought the small one because I was having issues with keeping fish hooked on the larger... Same issue with the small version.  The rod is 7'6" MHF.  I tried the small a rig on a 7' MHF also and have the same issue.  The bass shake right off.  Side note.... The pickerel come back to the boat with all the hooks in them.  How in the heck are you fellas keeping them bass fishes on long enough to get them into the boat?

First off, what size heads and hooks are you using?  Next, what line size?  When I first started using the A-rig, well I lost a few fish due to pull offs....THESE WERE MY FAULT!!!  Yep, I pulled on the rig too hard and puled the hook.  Where I fish and how I fish these is I use lighter wire hooks in 2/0 and 3/0 with 20lb mono tied to 30lb braid.  Rod is a 7'6"MH Bass Pro Crankin Stick (older model).  This rod helped A LOT!!! The tip absorbed the initial strike and helped keep the bass hooked.  Being I fish lighter wire for the reason to be able to straighten them out if I get hung up (don't want to loose $30 a set up) my drag is lighter as well.  Learned you can't horse fish in on this set up and let them play themselves out.  The rod takes the strike which I'm sure you've noticed are quite a bit move agressive.  I just keep pressure on them and let my rod and drag do the work.  That's my way I fish them at least.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I'm using 20lb florocarbon.  I use the jig heads that came with the flash mob jr. for grubs.  Also used some berkely pre-rigged swim baits and 3/0 EWG with no weights on some swim baits.  I have yet to hook a fish with the 3/0 EWG rigged up.

Maybe I'm pulling too hard too.  I don't feel as though I am but I probably just need more time learning this bait.  

I'd shy away with the EWG hooks and stick with jig hooks were the hook was exposed.  I fish my A-rigs on a 7'6" H Rod.  I like the heavier backbone for setting the hook.  I fish it on straight 25lb mono.  I normally try to bring the fish in pretty quick as my belief is that they can use the weight of the A-Rig as leverage to  become unhooked.

• Like 1

The hooks and jig heads that come with the Flash Mob Jr aren't the best.  I found although a bit more expensive, the Kietech round heads although they are made of tungsten have the strongest hook to wire ratio I found.  Owner 2/0' round heads bent out easier although they did work well but Kietech's kept their shape and if I do hang up will still straighten with enough pull but they haven't straightened on a fish.  I fish the Mob Jr as an oversized spinnerbait.  I stay with smaller heads in the 1/8oz size, fish 3.5 and 4" Kietech Swing Impacts on them.  The 2/0's on the 3.5 and 3/0 on the 4".  This gives the bait a lot of movement.  Also where I live, we can only use 3 hooks, so fish 2 dumy baits and a 3 wire rig doesn't swim right and feel doesn't produce as well......this is just my opinion on the 3 wire, I'm sure some have great success with it, just not me.  My dummy baits tend to be Lunker City 3" Swiming Grubsters which have more of a thump tail kick which works well with the Kietechs.

I like the Keitech heads for the smaller rigs, and J-will heads for bigger rigs.  You do want to set the drag appropriately - I accidentally bent out some Keitechs using 50# braid, XH heavy stick, and too tight a drag.  Once I had everything setup properly, that same rig gave me a 1st and 2nd on Oneida with big mixed bag limits.

I used the  EWG hooks because I wanted to reduce the weight and that's what I had on hand.  these things fee like I tied on a bowling ball lol.  I picked up a some 3/0 straight shank hooks that I can rig like a jig head with the hook out the top.  Maybe a jig head on bottom to help the rig track?  What's your thoughts here?

Try this if you want a lighter rig:

YUM Flash Mob Junior/ 3/0 EWG Offset Worm Hooks on the outside arms (no weight) rigged with LFT Live Magic Shad, Rage Tail Menace or GYCB Single Tail Hula Grub/ Johnson Silver Minnow on the middle arm.

:fishing-026:

I employ a heavy, straight side arm pull back to the boat when I'm fishing the rig. NO quarter with such a heavy rig. It does seem to help keep them buttoned. If they seem like they are going to surface at all I dip the tip. This also seems to help prevent them from jumping and shaking that heavy rig.