N Florida Mike

frog question

Trying to get some feedback on frog fishing.I am only fair at best at it.

Got me some screw in frog hooks that fit my zoom horny toads perfectly.Before,I used wide- gap hooks usually 3/0 and caught a modest amount of fish on them.But the frog  would always slip down the hook which was annoying me. I would also have a lot of fish come unbuttoned using that kind of hook.

So I decided to start using a real frog hook.Ever since the switch,I don't get bit at all.I make sure the frog is straight and the action is still good.

I also started using braided line ( 40# )at the same time,from using mono.I have a very experienced braid only friend who scoffs if I suggest that it's the line.

What's going on here?

Some days they simply ain't on a frog bite!

• Like 3

It's not the hook.

Agreed, its not the hook and its not the line..So what is it?

...They're not where you're at....They're not on a frog bite...Maybe, just maybe you weren't working or retrieving it the same way (speed, hop, angle) or conditions were different (sky, weather, timing, or even color if you believe in that..) but you get my point. 

IMHO, If you know its nothing you changed either purposely or unconsciously and everything else is equal, all you can do is just keep moving and fishing.

Mike

• Like 1

That's exactly my thinking.But it went from a fair amount of bites to nothing since I switched.Its been about 2 months.I try all kind of retrieves.I know the fish are there because it's only been my home lake.

I've noticed around here though,that the frog bite is best during the summer when you hear bullfrogs croaking at night.Lately no frogs.I know it's a shot in the dark but maybe that has something to do with it.

• Like 1

I have heard from others that froggin' is not an effective way to bass fish in the fall.  Granted, I live in Minnesota and you live in Florida so our weather and conditions are vastly different.  Be grateful that you were on a good frog bite at all.  I tried froggin' for almost 4 months and I can recall MAYBE a half dozen blow ups on it.  Just wasn't effective at all this season for some reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N Florida Mike said:

But it went from a fair amount of bites to nothing since I switched.Its been about 2 months.

My frog bite down here has been over for about 3 months. Yea you can still pickup one or two but that aint even worth tying one on to me.

• Like 1

I had a nice one on tonight on a frog but it came off, dropped it in from the cattails and the fish smashed it instantly. Also had another completely miss it doing the same thing. I tried other things(spinnerbaits/lipless cranks/whopper plopper), no other bites. Got my first total skunk of the year. This is my first year ever fall fishing so no idea what I'm doing really. I tried weed edges, open water, and the usual frog spots in the thick stuff. I love topwater, so probably spend too much time on that. Last trip out I scored a 3lb4oz LM in the same exact spot(same frog too) I lost the one tonight though so it's tough to give it up! Logic is telling me they shouldn't be tight to the shore, but I'm still finding them there.

28 minutes ago, Catt said:

My frog bite down here has been over for about 3 months. Yea you can still pickup one or two but that aint even worth tying one on to me.

Agreed right now in south Alabama its all about threadfin shad. Still havent gotten on a great pattern right now maybe due to storm or long high pressure system but from what I've seen and the few I've caught. There all coughing up shad.